AC/DC Car Inverter

Associate
I have a project to bear in mind. I want to purchase a 12v to 240v 1000w Dc to Ac Car Power Converter Transformer. The unit has over voltage protection with under voltage and lots of other properties seems to be fair. Lets say I buy a 100 amp hour battery for like £100.00 how long would a computer last for on this type of setup? When my car is sorted I want to take a small computer away with me on travels, and things like this (not for mining) but just general use and want to run some tests...

The inverter just clips onto the battery with no cigarette plug/socket thing on it.

Cheers,

PS: my i5 pc draws about 25 watts in total...

Permabanned
Ideally you just want a dc-dc laptop power as dc-ac-dc is pointless for 25w.

Off a 100ah battery, only half of that is usable. So at 25w / 12 = 2.08ah (ish, 12v batteries are actually nearer 13v) = 24 hours. Using a 1000w inverter, just on standby will use I guess 2ah so using an inverter will give you only 12 hours compared to the 24 off a dc charger.

I imagine that inverter is a modified sine wave, you really want pure sine wave as cheap inverters can bugger up electronics.

I lived in a campervan for 9 months last year and use my laptop for work everyday, so trust me there isn't a thing I don't know about power use. In windows/browsing my i7 would use 3-4amps and my 150ah battery would generally do a whole day if I couldn't get it topped up from driving or solar. A 350w inverter added 0.5amps

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You'd have to have Big Balls to attempt that.

I'll be dead in seconds, doesn't matter lol. Yeah my PC will use a 12 volt connection, would it be safe, or will it fry like jumping into a Volcano?

I have a pure sine wave inverter generator, here it has a 120watt output max I just need the panels another £150.00, useful when the power gets cut off when I cannot afford it on my own, (plus im a freeloader), I think work might let me charge it now and then if I ask nicely. :) ;););)

The other computer will draw about 15watts max I'm sure or less than 30 watts. I've used a Celeron NUC with this Generator that draws 10 watts or so, and the battery didn't even change in 2 hours. I ran full blown Windows 7 with a SSD, browsing (light gaming) and everything else...

Associate
OP
I have a pure sine wave inverter generator, here it has a 120watt output max I just need the panels another £150.00, useful when the power gets cut off when I cannot afford it on my own, (plus im a freeloader), I think work might let me charge it now and then if I ask nicely. :) ;););)

The other computer will draw about 15watts max I'm sure or less than 30 watts. I've used a Celeron NUC with this Generator that draws 10 watts or so, and the battery didn't even change in 2 hours. I ran full blown Windows 7 with a SSD, browsing (light gaming) and everything else...

Permabanned

Your figures sound low. My laptop goes from 30w to 120w if I start gaming with a 960m.

Associate
OP
I have one of those wattage meters, it's a CELERON low powered nuc desktop PC, dual-core with 2gb of RAM, it's nothing special, it uses 12v so yes, the figure's are correct. (Approx) 7/20 watts no more than

Associate
OP
BTW, I'm using Intel HD Graphics on my PC and NUC, so yeah, not gaming at all... Even when I mine Bitcoin it doesnt even go past 30 watts... at 200 h/s a sec

Man of Honour
Unless gaming I wouldn't bother - I stopped lugging my i7 laptop around unless I want to game and just use a reasonable spec 2in1 tablet hybrid (along with keyboard and mouse if appropriate).

For gaming on anything even remotely powerful you want a better power setup really.

Associate
Wouldn't you just get a DC-DC ATX PSU if you intend to use a PC in a vehicle for whatever reason? You're converting DC to AC then back to DC again with an inverter.

Back
Top Bottom