Academic strip searched = police complaint and PTSD

Caporegime
She's an idiot. When I was arrested as a youngster for being involved in a fight they gave me a newspaper and a drink in my cell then let me go home after a quick interview, just be polite and compliant.

Yeah, no.

Never ever open your mouth to an officer without a lawyer present, ever.

Capodecina
Soldato
Yeah, no.
Never ever open your mouth to an officer without a lawyer present, ever.
I get the impression that adhering to this advice was where this young lady went wrong. It seems that the Police felt compelled to ensure that she didn't have a WMD concealed in some bodily orifice.

Very many years ago, after a hard day's work in the City of London I was making my weary way to Liverpool St. Stn. when I was stopped by two armed Policemen. Being very much the worse for wear I threw my arms in the air and said "Don't shoot, I'm an unarmed civilian.", their response was "That's the Met, they're right ********, we're City Police; get on home and keep out of the road son.".

Soldato
Which is a perfectly reasonable version of events, but so is the Sergeant did just did it for a power trip.

Both are plausible. However, I would lean more towards the power trip line of thinking if she was compliant and was still strip searched.

It appears that the custody sergeant was doing their job. We can call it arse covering and theres no doubt in my mind that was an element. But likewise we can also call it ensuring safety of an individual in possible mental / physical distress.

Got to be cruel to be kind etc.

Caporegime
I get the impression that adhering to this advice was where this young lady went wrong. It seems that the Police felt compelled to ensure that she didn't have a WMD concealed in some bodily orifice.

Very many years ago, after a hard day's work in the City of London I was making my weary way to Liverpool St. Stn. when I was stopped by two armed Policemen. Being very much the worse for wear I threw my arms in the air and said "Don't shoot, I'm an unarmed civilian.", their response was "That's the Met, they're right ********, we're City Police; get on home and keep out of the road son.".

Her first mistake was being involved at all, that's not what i'm talking about, she's a dumb idealistic waste.

Man of Honour
Wow ... Just wow. Is this the normal thought process these days?

There is good reason for it and that advice has been given by police officers. There are risks involved in freely talking to police if they stop you in an official capacity. I've done it a number of times. I was stopped and questioned a number of times in my youth due to profiling and once because I was breaking into a flat(*), but I'm not sure I'd do it now. I certainly wouldn't do it if I'd been arrested. If I was arrested, then the only words I'd speak would be to state that I won't say anything without legal advice. Unless you're a legal expert yourself, it's a risk not worth taking. Better to spend a night in a cell if necessary.

* I was renting it and I'd left my key at work, so I was trying to gain entry without doing any damage. It must have looked rather suspicious and the copper was clearly right to stop and question me.

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the reason for the search put down as "refusing to give her name" - which isn't a justification, but it was only later at court/hearing that their laywer expanding on that to cite "mental health reasons" which sounds to me like moving the goal posts to cover ones arse.

i'm always against the police abusing their powers, but if the police ask your name for just tell them... it's wasting their time which we pay for

lets be honest most of those who don't want to answer have something to hide..

Soldato
By the sounds of it, the kid she was trying to stick up for assaulted a police officer and was found with a knife.

She then intervened, police told her to go away, which she ignored, then when police tried to physically remove her she resisted "passively".

Now the stripnsearch may have been a little OTT, but she was playing with fire and come out 2nd best.

Should have let the police do their jobs.

Permabanned
The case speaks volumes about the fact the University of Nottingham is apparently still employing a woman who resists police arrest and has to be forcibly searched once in custody at the police station by being tied up and then sat on whilst her clothes are cut away with scissors.

Soldato

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The case speaks volumes about the fact the University of Nottingham is apparently still employing a woman who resists police arrest and has to be forcibly searched once in custody at the police station by being tied up and then sat on whilst her clothes are cut away with scissors.

Why wouldn't they still employ her? She hasn't been convicted of a crime as far as I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom