Poll: Accepting parcels for those pesky neighbours!

Do you accept parcel/goods for absent neighbours?

• Yes, of course I do. I'm a great neighbour

Votes: 203 91.0%
  • No I don't, I hide behind the letter box!

Votes: 20 9.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
So why do we accept other people's goods, and why do delivery men think its the social norm to go knocking on everyone's house untill someone will take the parcel in?

Because we're not as irresponsible as you.

Are you a child? (serious question)

I've taken parcels for neighbors. It's not difficult to ensure its safekeeping.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does anyone actually know where the legal responsibility would lie? The neighbour who signed acceptance of the delivery? The courier service who gave the parcel to someone other than the addressee? Would it depend on whether or not there were explicit instructions from the addressee to the courier company?

Associate
having worked in logistics for a very large courier firm my experience of this is -

If its signed for in good condition you will stand very little chance/no chance of getting a replacement or making a claim through the courier company.

With the particular company I work for, certain deliveries can only be made to the specific delivery address and recipient. Not next door, or anyone else. As is the case with many off our large customers, Apple for example have gone to the extent of having "no delivery to neighbor" all over the paperwork. For good reason of course ;)

Associate
Fine with me, they take mine and I take theirs. I dont think delivery men are ment to unless you tell them, so if they do and something gets broken, then it's their fault - Damaged in transit.

Actually if you accept a neighbours parcel then it is then your responsability. If its damaged in your house its you who is liable for that damage.

Soldato
The only time I see my neighbours is when I'm picking up a delivery from their house. A lot of the time though couriers just leave parcels in a secret place. (back garden, first few patio tiles in theres a big hole under them =)

Man of Honour
I once ordered some - you know - sexy high shoes for the Mrs.. years ago.. :o They were dropped off next door. You would think it would be sent in an unmarked box but no.. I can't quote the ad on the box but suffice to say the neighbour had a decent laugh and I was red faced to say the least. I couldn't look them ever again. They moved shortly afterwards :D

Caporegime
I you sign for a parcel destined for your neighbors then you are effectively signing over legal responsibility to look after it and pass it on (AFAIK). If your child/pet destroys the parcel then you may be legally responsible for replacing it.
For this reason you have the right to decline taking responsibility for the parcel and the courier must try a different neighbour or take the parcel back.

Associate
I don't know many of my neighbours and wouldn't feel comfortable with my property being left with some of those that I do!

Soldato
depends who the neighbour is
if it is the guy across the road I will say no because last time we helped him he did not even say thanks

if it is my immediate neighbour then yes I'd help her anytime :)

Caporegime
The only time I see my neighbours is when I'm picking up a delivery from their house. A lot of the time though couriers just leave parcels in a secret place. (back garden, first few patio tiles in theres a big hole under them =)

I would really like to know what the legal ramifications are for leaving a parcel on the back doorstep etc. I've had it happen several times which has worked out OK, but I know a friend who had a laptop delivered which was left in-front of his apartment door and was promptly stolen. Despite much effort he never got anything back and ended up going into a department store to pick up a new laptop, 1K down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom