Access Database Help

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Yo guys, I've been trying to learn Access over the past week and whilst I understand most of it, the relationships between tables has got me quite confused so I could do with some help.

Basically, I'm trying to do the following:

I have a main table which has information about a particular case and each case has 3 video tapes so I have 3 more tables (1 for each tape) to track the movement of the tapes.

I have the case information in a main form and the 3 tables as subforms (in a tabbed control).

The problem I have is linking the 3 video tape tables to the case table.

Here is the form so you know what I'm talking about:

Screenshot2010-10-18at184942.jpg

The case table doesn't have any unique references or unique information (other records may have the same info) so I created a field called record number which Access will autocomplete. You can see that at the top as record 1.

Now the tape tables will have more than 1 record (as they come and go to different places) so I have a problem in linking the main table with the tape tables. I tried doing the same as the main table and creating a field which is the record number (hidden in the form above) but whilst the 1st entry in the tape table will stay attached to the first record in the main table the 2nd entry gets attached to the 2nd record in the main table - not what I want.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to link the tables so that any records in the tape table stay attached to the same record in the main (case) table?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully I've explained it well enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom