Access Point.

Associate
So I had this exact same problem many months ago, I fixed it (I didn't write down what I did to fix it, now I'm hating myself). It has somehow cropped up and happened again..

I currently have a Virgin Media Super Hub 2 as the main router in the living room of a bungalow, though the WIFI signal is horrendous and cannot reach the back bedroom's of the bungalow.

I bought a TP-Link WR940N as a second router that is attached to network power line adapter's.

At some point I managed to get my SSID the same across the entire house, so there wasn't any need for logging in and out of different channels on the same network, I now can no longer recall how I went about this?

I've read various threads and articles about turning the bedroom router (TP-Link) into an "Access Point". I do believe I have attempted this in several ways but I don't think I'm setting up correctly?

I've plugged the power line adapter into a normal port on router 2 and haven't put it into the wan port. I've disabled DHCP, Renamed the SSID and security settings to match Router 1 (Virgin Media Hub), I think I maybe altered the IP of Router 2 (TP-Link) so that wasn't conflicting with anything but I still can't get the same SSID over the bungalow, It just creates another copy of the original one.

My Xbox One is also playing up with my NAT type and won't allow me to host or join friends games that they host. I can't help but think this is all attached and conflicted together some how.

Any advice on the matter would be great!

(Edit) - I've just came across this http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1575/using_an_old_router_as_a_diy_wireless_access_point/index3.html and after going through the procedure, it doesn't seem a lot has changed really. I still have 2 x 2.4Ghz SSID and 2 x 5GHZ SSID instead of them being merged. An nothing has changed in regards to my Xbox One being on Strict Nat Type even after following a port forwarding guide as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Few easy things to check:

Double check you're NOT using the WAN port on the TP-Link (blue one according to image search). That would explain the NAT issues.

Double check all the wifi settings, as MarkLP says they will appear as different networks unless they have the same settings (apart from the channel, you're encouraged to set that different for less interference).

Try turning both units off, then turning the main one on (VM SH2), waiting for it to settle, then turning the second on (TP-Link). This is especially helpful for complicated networks but can't hurt here.

Back
Top Bottom