Access points and channels

Don
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with my powerline access points in that wireless devices aren't hopping to the correct ones when you're in the same room as them. I'm wondering if it's to do with the channels assigned? They are set to auto and the router is 7 but currently I'm in the office where the router is and my phone is connected to a WAP in the lounge.

They all have the same SSID'

A mentioned there is a router in the office.
AP in lounge
AP in dining room
AP in landing area upstairs

I live in a old house with thick walls so they are needed for coverage throughout the house.

I really don't want to resort to having different SSID's and making sure you're connected to the right one when in a specific room.

I've been reading a lot about the correct channels assigned in particular 1, 6 and 11.

What do you advise?

Thanks,

Andy

Soldato
On 2.4GHz, channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels that don't overlap and should be used for neighbouring access points to aid roaming.

Where is the upstairs AP in relation to its closest AP on the ground floor?

What APs are they?

Caporegime
Manually set your channels according to your environment, but be aware that device are in full control of whether they roam between APs or not. Especially as moving between different APs in this case is actually authenticating to a different network, some devices may be reluctant to do this.

Soldato
I'd configure 1 on the office AP, the next AP on channel 6 and the furthest AP on 11. I'd them configure the upstairs AP on channel 11 as long as it's a decent distant away from the AP downstairs also configured to use channel 11, otherwise use 6. Basically, you want the most channel separation possible.

I've had issues with wireless coverage before, having to run multiple cheap routers as access points. Being a bit of a geek (and knowing Cisco gear) now use a single Cisco 1242 access point. Wipes the floor with consumer grade kit. We also use them at work inside big metal buildings and the coverage easily spreads to adjacent buildings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom