Accident - Write Off

Associate
I was involved in a car accident about 5days ago. There was damage to both cars, but no one was injured. The other driver stopped and we exchanged phone numbers, address and insurance details. There was also an eye witness who also provided their details. The accident might have been my fault, but i did not accept liability at the scene nor with my insurance.

After the incident and the other vehicle had left and while waiting for the AA, a random police patrol arrived and the checked my details (they did not ask any information about the accident) and helped me push the car to a safe place. I have reported the case to my insurance company and they have gone ahead to pay my claim as the car was declared a write off. Please, am I also supposed to report the case to the police as well? Thank you

Don
As you've exchanged details, there should be no need to report the incident

Lincolnshire Police Website said:

How to report your collision​

You don't need to report a collision to the police if you've exchanged details, nobody was injured and there are no allegations of driving offences.

You must report the collision to the police if you were unable to exchange details at the scene, if anyone was injured, or if you suspect that the other person may have committed a driving offence.

Last edited:
Soldato
my wife was in a (no fault) accident last year where her car was written off (spectacularly, 2 cars written off, an ambulance written off with wheels ripped off all over the road and 2 cars significantly damaged, thankfully no one hurt seriously.

My wife exchanged all details and did what was needed at the scene. the police contacted her, she didnt need to contact the police. it was all sorted painlessly as it happens.... only annoyance was, and you may want to be wary of this.
our insurance were desperate for us to use their legal department to organise everything, but they were totally unnessesary and would have just added more middle men into it, so we asked them to kindly leave us alone.

also as we didnt need a courtesy car the insurance gave us an extra £350 on top of our pay out for NOT taking the courtesy car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom