ACER 1916WS Users- Should I get it??

Permabanned
Hi there,

I currently have a 17inch performance and very good quality TFT. Im thinking of selling this and going for the ACER 19inch widescreen.

What I do-

I have some school work and I play gaming a lot. The games include-

Battlefield 2

Live For speed

IL2 Forgotten Battles + Expansion packs

Football Manager 2006

GTA San Andreas

Will these games be supported?

Also, is there ghosting?

What is ACER's warranty like? How long was your RMA turnaround? Did they refund your postage?

What other pionts (prefebrly bad) can you dig out about this monitor?

Also any pics compared to a 17inch?

Sorry I know its a lot, but for someone who has to spend his money wisely its nessecary :).

Thank you!

Soldato
Widescreen monitors are in general more dependant on more power from your graphics card. 1440x900 for 19" acer, and 1680x1050 for a 20". Mine are fine, no ghosting, and couldnt have wished for anythink better. The 19" is a steal at the price its selling for, however there is NO DVi connections on the 19" and only on the special 20" version. Game support is again dependant on the game itself, wether it be by native support (battlefiled 2 - half life 2) or a patcher to force the game into a correct widescreen mode, not squashed (NFS Most Wanted) Warentee is 3 years on site, although ive never had to use it. Dead pixels and back bleed can happen to any LCD screen, approx 7% of new screens have minor faults, and i think several dead pixels have to be had in order to swap it. Back bleed is a bugger , and ive not had one as yet to comment any further, but if you get it, its a horrid situation, and normally a swap out is made. If you own a 17" LCD/TFT, then the 19" widescreen simply looks and is indeed bigger to look at. From a normal 19" LCD monitor to a 19" LCD widescreen monitor , there is a quite a size difference.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! What does Native resolution mean?

I have a 7800GTX so this should not be a problem?

Thanks!

Permabanned
I had the Acer 19" WS and i had issues with it. Some text was blurred on part of the screen, also had backlight bleed. Some games don't do widescreen either so that was a pain.

It has no DVI connection either which some will say does not matter but i prefer a TFT with a DVI as i have that on my graphics card.

Native resolution is the size that the screen defaults to. It is always best to set the resolution to the one supported / best suited to the TFT.

Dead / Lazy pixels are the scurge of TFT's. A mate of mine sent his TFT back to Samsung as it had bad backlight bleed and the replacement TFT had 2 dead pixels! Nothing he could do about it! Luck of the draw i suppose. Best to buy a TFT where you can either see it or 2nd hand from someone who can tell you what it is like, that way you cut down the risk of getting a really bad TFT!

My mate has a Viewsonic TFT and they are awesome. Superb picture quality and after sales service.

Last edited:
Associate
If you do decide on the Acer just hope you don't have to send to Acer/Esplex for repair.
They have had my 19inch for 4 weeks now, with no indication of when I will get it retuned.
My bad luck I guess.
Go for a company that do a swap-out.
Pays your money etc.

Soldato
It's a great monitor, but I do own one, and I've never really used too many other good TFTs so I'm not the best person to ask!
Mine has no dead pixels. However, coming from a CRT I did notice a little bit of ghosting on CSS, but I don't anymore - must have got used to it. If you're coming from another TFT I doubt you'll notice anything.

Back
Top Bottom