Acer Predator cg437kp 120hz issue

Associate
Hi all, I can’t enable 120hz on my cg437kp monitor. I am running:

supplied DisplayPort cable
win7 64bit
dual 980 gtx Nvidia in sli
dual monitor (cg437kp primary, 43inch + Philips BDM4065UC secondary, 40inch)

if I try to run only one monitor, it’s the same issue. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. I have tried enabling and disabling adaptive sync.

I can’t seem to make it work.

I think I might have a possible reason for what the issue might be. According to the 980 gtx card specs, display port 1.2 is what it supports. Which I assume means it’s not able to support display port 1.4 which is what this monitor may rely on to run at 120hz.

However, reading up on DisplayPort 1.2 specs, this says 120hz is possible at the 3840x2160 resolution under dp1.2. So not sure whether this is actually the issue or not.

Does anyone have experience with this or able to advise? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried all the displayport ports in your gpus?

On another note, if you still can, return this monitor. It suffers from EXTREMELY bad ghosting issues, fast paced games are not playable at all with it. Also it is MASSIVELY overpriced for what it is, there are much better options available for similar money.. LG 38" monitors or 48" oled etc.. I have tested the monitor myself and talked to other people who have it and they all experienced the same issues.

Associate
OP
I’ve literally just received it last night. So far... the size and immersivity is amazing, love this about the monitor.

However, there are some major things that I’m not that happy about. Text in Windows appears a bit blocky. Internet pages seem a bit off due to the same reason.

Thin lines in games render terribly compared to my previous monitor (the Philips mentioned above), and small text and thin lines effectively disappear when they’re moving around the screen. This ain’t good in games with HUDs and similar.

Also, on startup, I currently miss all the bios loading, as the screen is still cycling through its inputs. It finally displays something a little while before windows loads.

Am not that much in love so far, am feeling it’s not doing what it should be at this price, as much as I like the size. And I still can’t sort the display port / 120hz issue .....

Associate
I’ve literally just received it last night. So far... the size and immersivity is amazing, love this about the monitor.

I absolutely agree. I was using it with UW resolution of 3840 x 1600, such an amazing experience.

However, there are some major things that I’m not that happy about. Text in Windows appears a bit blocky. Internet pages seem a bit off due to the same reason.

I think this is because this is not actually a "monitor", it's basically a TV. Something to do with how pixels are arranged differently in monitors and TVs which causes text not to seem "clear".

Am not that much in love so far, am feeling it’s not doing what it should be at this price, as much as I like the size. And I still can’t sort the display port / 120hz issue .....

I honestly recommend returning it and taking a look at the LG CX 48" OLED TV or the upcoming LG 38GN950 (38" UW monitor) or the already being sold LG 38GL950G (38" UW monitor)

Associate
OP
Yeah I’m a little bit uneasy about this purchase. Trying to work out why some reviews are so postitive given the issues I’ve seen. Have been tinkering with it. It can’t get it to sing though.

My Philips, which does have issues of its own, is so clear and razor sharp. Partly it’s to do with it being a smaller size at 40 inch, which for the res works really well as a ‘work’ screen. As a gaming screen again the super sharp image is great for detail and deep colours. Black looks very black compared to the Acer.

The Acer is ok, but the colours aren’t quiet as punchy or deep. I get that the Philips is glossy screen and the Acer is anti glare. But on the Acer it’s the disappearing or feinting lines when it moves that is not really on. I’m very surprised given the description on the product page when I bought this on ocuk and the reviews generally.

What are you currently running @CaptainCompete ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, had to return the Acer, just wasn't good enough as a monitor. I was very surprised to be honest, given the name, the "reviews", and the price. It had some inexcusable visual effects in some games and was quite bright in the corners.

Took your tip and have been running on an LG CX 48 since this afternoon. Holy shootballs, what an amazing gaming 'monitor'...! Thanks for the nod. Took some serious setting up and settings tinkering, however. Windows is pretty much ok (some slightly funny text but this is due to the fact it's a tv) but I think it'll be workable/usable, but will let you know after a week working on it during lockdown work-from-home. I noticed a very, very, very slight flickering, but think this disappeared when I turned off some sort of variably adjusted power saving features. As I say, will let you know more after some time with it.

The size is perfect - simply perfect. Have it on my desk just the right distance to be super immersive, but not too close and in my face. I used a third party vesa mount to get it at the right height off the desktop (30mm off the surface approx), and as close a distance from the back wall as I could get (the base that ships with the TV is very deep) so as not to be too close in a desk environment. I don't have to look up to see the top of the screen like I did with the Acer (and this thing is 48 inch compared to the Acer's 43) - I can't comment on how much of this was due to the vesa mount, I haven't installed it on the standard base that ships with the tv. Am running it at 60hz and will await better cards later in the year to (hopefully!) drive it at 120hz.

One thing I've learned through this whole saga is that my aging Philips BDM4065UC, despite is numerous foibles, is one amazing monitor.

Associate
Well, had to return the Acer, just wasn't good enough as a monitor. I was very surprised to be honest, given the name, the "reviews", and the price. It had some inexcusable visual effects in some games and was quite bright in the corners.

Took your tip and have been running on an LG CX 48 since this afternoon. Holy shootballs, what an amazing gaming 'monitor'...! Thanks for the nod. Took some serious setting up and settings tinkering, however. Windows is pretty much ok (some slightly funny text but this is due to the fact it's a tv) but I think it'll be workable/usable, but will let you know after a week working on it during lockdown work-from-home. I noticed a very, very, very slight flickering, but think this disappeared when I turned off some sort of variably adjusted power saving features. As I say, will let you know more after some time with it.

The size is perfect - simply perfect. Have it on my desk just the right distance to be super immersive, but not too close and in my face. I used a third party vesa mount to get it at the right height off the desktop (30mm off the surface approx), and as close a distance from the back wall as I could get (the base that ships with the TV is very deep) so as not to be too close in a desk environment. I don't have to look up to see the top of the screen like I did with the Acer (and this thing is 48 inch compared to the Acer's 43) - I can't comment on how much of this was due to the vesa mount, I haven't installed it on the standard base that ships with the tv. Am running it at 60hz and will await better cards later in the year to (hopefully!) drive it at 120hz.

One thing I've learned through this whole saga is that my aging Philips BDM4065UC, despite is numerous foibles, is one amazing monitor.

That tv has dsc so you should be able to set it to 4k 120hz rgb 10 bit +gsync turned on. The bloke in the video has the same one but the 55" and if you read the comments that's the settings he claims to have it on. Also included is a screen shot of dsc compression standards. You might need a hdmi 2.1 cable and definitely need an rtx nvidia card as prior models are not capable of dsc. I don't have the screen myself, just thought I'd mention it just in case.

sW6kLup.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks man, very useful. I intend to upgrade GPU later in the year, probably new 30X0 generation (depending on the inevitable eye watering, organ selling prices), or a 2080 or so, once cheaper. Currently on 980sli. I can’t get above 60hz. Have an hdmi 2.0b cable arriving tomorrow. Not sure if it will help at all in the picture quality. Then will take advantage of 2.1 hdmi (assuming new cards support).

Back
Top Bottom