** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Did you use aerosol high build primer? I've had plenty of poor experiences with that cracking I the past, or having it craze the top coat.
I did, yeah.

This time and last in fact. But different stuff.

Last time it was Simoniz gray high build, which I then went over with the topcoat. This time it was Halfords yellow high build.

Sent about 50 pictures off to a body shop the other day. Waiting for an approximation from them at the moment, and still trying to pick a colour for it. (see my other thread)

But things are moving finally.

Car has been doing well, I moved house and had it brought up to where I now live, it has been out and about collecting furniture and exploring the roads in all weathers.

A bit of its old rust has started to creep back through again but not too bad. It also has some "new" wheels yet again. The BBS Mahle which I'd had in storage for some years.

The re-painted quarter panel seems to be "fine" this time. There are a few cracks and craze lines, but its mostly just solid red, unlike my last attempt. It proved to be more than good enough for temporary.

Oh and I did end up having to replace that idle control valve.

vuiXS0mh.jpg

MNO9QZGh.jpg

Lhck04jh.jpg

am5xXG7h.jpg

5WtGBJnh.jpg

bjXBelXh.jpg

nMOShRvh.jpg

ptKGMAah.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're going to get a quote in the region of £5-£7k for a respray. Materials alone have rocketed in price over the last few years, and labour has gone up a lot too.

It'll be interesting to see what they come back with.
Its a lot more than a re-spray I've asked for. Quite extensive welding too. A sill, rear quarter, complete removal of the sunroof, and 5 or 6 little bits here and there, as well as undersealing it all. The respray (in non standard colour), as well as re-finishing all the black trims in matte black.

I am expecting a quote in the region of £10K including transportation and redelivery. Any less and I will be pleasantly surprised. The place I am waiting to hear back from isn't in the UK, but it is my first choice shop. The one Sreten from M539 Restorations uses, in Poland. If he is satisfied with the quality of their work, I will be too. All I've heard about body shops around here are horror stories.

I am hopeful that exchange rates and shop rate differences will be in my favour.

If it comes in at under that figure there are some other things I will ask them to take care of at the same time. Such as fabricating a new exhaust, and possibly some small mechanical jobs too.

It will take me from easily being able to get my investment back, to having very little chance of that. But thats okay. I don't plan on getting rid of it.

Last edited:
Removal of the sunroof? How come? Fit a huge panoramic one!

There's a bit of surface corrosion on the inside of the roof skin which would require removal of the sunroof tray to address. I would rather it not go back in, because I never use it, and it removes weight and more than one potential future rust issue.

Can we ban this guy from motors?

Haha, I can't imagine feeling the need to be so vocally uncongenial and opinionated towards a stranger without any provocation.

Another reason why I left. :eek:

Trouble is, I used to think it was my job to argue with people like that. So it just made me stressed and ended up getting me in trouble with all the moderators too.

Its much better now I realise they aren't worth my time! :p

Last edited:
That just shows how clueless you are. A BMW E30 is a cult classic, and a 325i with a manual box and a limited slip differential is the big daddy.

Are we finished? :p

I had a quick stalk of your profile, I can't see that you've added anything constructive to this forum since you joined... I'd be more careful if you want to stick around. :)

Last edited:
I hope you don't stop posting here as I'd be very interested to find out how much it costs you in Poland and exactly what you end up getting done to it. My wife's family own a bodyshop over here and their work is dirt cheap, albeit not concours quality (I'd say a 7/10 job). I've been thinking about how rusty classic cars in the UK are worth so little due to the extremely high cost of bodywork and how it might make sense to import a couple over here, restore them and sell them on. I just have little knowledge of how much these repairs generally cost in Europe, and what is actually involved in the process. Cutting out rusty metal, welding in new metal and painting doesn't seem that complicated to me but I know it must be, or it wouldn't cost so much.
It isn't complicated unless you want it done properly.
For example my entire car was welded back together for about £1000 by a friend of a friend on my driveway at home

I then protected it with lots of paint and seam sealer and underseal and the majority of the repairs are still "fine" 5+ years later, but the quality of the work is poor.
So poor in fact that a few bits need redoing for cosmetic reasons before it can be painted.

I think your idea could very well be a profitable one, depending on transportation costs... Or at the very least, a cheap way for you to get into a very nice old classic.
I saw an extremely rotten Mark 2 Jag sell for £1500 complete the other week.

Last edited:
Have you put any bags of sand in the back, or thats what the furniture does, the rwd pre-traction/earlier-gen, make them an engaging drive on current dirty roads in Cambs, versus newer refined models.

( People spend a lot of money on a new car PCP, so I don't see the maintenance equation so imbalanced, equally, refined, nice place to be interiors, that's subjective )

Haha no extra weight in the back. The roads have been a little slippy lately though yes!

Yeah I could have easily lost more in depreciation than I have by being in old cars. The Toyota Crown felt like a very extravagant purchase until someone pointed out that some people spend more on a brand new Peugeot 108... :p

Great to see some updates :)
Wholly approve of the HubNut sticker :D

Had to be done!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Interested to know how much a mote simple same colour respray costs in Eastern Europe. £10k sounds a lot to me but I guess you're having lots of extra things done.

I will be extremely pleased if you are right.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if his business has looked into pricing in other countries, and increased their rates somewhat, after the business Sreten has no doubt generated for them.

If it is £6K I will do a happy skip and a jump. But I imagine the transport will cost a fair amount too.

Last edited:
Ignore the haters @Acme , plenty of us have followed this with interest / curiosity /confusion over the years but, enjoyed it - myself included!

There’s little sense logically to restoring older cars, that’s not the point, so long as the end result puts a smile on your face then as far as I’m concerned, great!

I’m back considering (yet) another e38, despite the huge financial loss the last one was, who cares? I like them and one has crossed my path…

A 1999 750i Short Wheelbase, does it make any kind of sense? Nope, can I afford its asking price? Nope, do I really need it? Nope.

Do I like it and want to find a way to do this….

Yes!

More fool me some (rightly!) would say, screw them is my view, it’s all about that smile on your face.

My man maths calculations are in full swing. :D

Oh jeez, that is a dangerous proposition indeed! Watch lots of M539 Restorations first and then decide if you really want to do that haha.

Wow this thread is 6 years old nearly! Cool. Be interesting to continue following this one.

Yeah it has been a while now!
All the money and work has been spread out over quite a long time, so I don't regret it in the slightest. :)
Hopefully things will speed up a little bit here soon and it will actually look nice for the first time in many years.

And yet the car still has the same paint! :D

Well not quite, the rear bumper, one rear door, bonnet and front wings are off of various other faded red E30s now, and the front and rear valence and rear quarter are rattle can specials. :D

Last edited:
Whist making extra brrrrrrrrm noises?
Naturally!

Every E30 saved is worth it. I maybe biased as my first car was an E30 and I was gutted to let it go (wasn't viable to bring it to the NL when I moved.)
I'm currently driving an E46 Coupe which always needs something doing (though it's been remarkably reliable up to this point but it's still a needy little diva.)

A few weeks ago, after yet another oil leak fix and discovering the headlight wire covers were basically dust, I'd had enough and decided to go test drive a VW Scirocco.
I liked it a lot (though it was only the 120hp version so not enough power and it doesn't really suit me).
However, when I enquired on what the garage could offer for my car (he actually made a decent offer), the chap just walked around my car saying , "What a beautiful car" over and over again :D
Not what I wanted to hear :p

So, I've still got the E46 and she's even stopped dropping oil on the ground (for now :p)
It's bad to get attached to old cars :)
I remember us talking about your E30 briefly a while ago. I think I know of it if I remember right.

The E46 must have got scared into submission by your little dealership stunt. :D

Last edited:
Ditto love seeing this. As I get older I understand it is more than about pure numbers or what the car is. If you enjoy it then do what you see fit. Anything with sub 8 second 0-60 is more than enough fun on the roads anyway.

:)

I've just had it what feels like a long time. I'm 27 and I've had it almost 7 years. And I had wanted an E30 for at least another 5 or 6 years before that.

It took me to my first car shows, helped me make lots of friends, gave me something to do with my summers, and made me feel a lot more confident tackling most jobs on a car.

And I just enjoy the way it drives. It feels old, but it drives well. It takes all kinds of abuse, it sounds good, people love it (well, those that know anyway), it stands out because it is unusual, it is small by modern standards but has usable space, and it still gets high 20s low 30s MPG wise.

If I sold it in the condition it is currently in there is a good chance it would get broken for parts by someone, and I can't do that.

I bought it locally, ducked out of work to call the seller, called in sick the next day to view it, an old guy who had used it as a family car for many years. I am still in contact with him and his wife, and he gets occasional updates by email.

When it is shiny and nice, I will drop by with it to show them.

Last edited:
Did I see this/you earlier on this afternoon? Heading out on the Watton road at about 18:45? Only a fleeting glance as you were heading the other way, but I swear the last bit of the index was the same!
Highly likely! I left Bungay at about 18:00 on Saturday heading towards Dereham, so I'd probably have been near/on the Watton road at about 18:45.

I was visiting a friend who is going to help me do some bits on it before its MOT.

5NRDFB0.jpeg

I hope I wasn't driving like a knob when I got spotted... :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom