** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Yea, I think the MX5 was a great buy and is a brilliant car.

Way to make me feel like a dick. :)

Thanks... I think we need to stop this feud... I'm trying to be more open and honest, and be more mindful and respectful of other peoples views and experience these days... But you're sometimes a sticking point for me. I think its the condescending tone which you somehow get across really well in text form! ;)

I thought you'd be pleased I'm in a 6 cylinder BMW, even if its a stupid one. :D

Last edited:
Attempting to explain myself has become a habit over the years of being on these boards... I don't want to be a Turbotoaster, otherwise I'd blank any negative posts completely. :p

It probably does, your astra isn't nearing 3 decades old with 200K on the clock. :D

You are right about spending more time fiddling with the car, but not when its dark and freezing cold outside. :D

It was, and the headers and X pipe. Foglights from the other day, but included because shiny shiny. Valance is still in the boot of the car... :p

YBb350Gl.jpg

Wr5XJZNl.jpg

I also went to get two new keys cut at Timpsons. The guy there was very nice, complimented the car etc, but didn't have a clue really. We couldn't get the one he cut to work, so he didn't charge me for it. Taking it, and my remaining spare blank to a "proper" locksmith tomorrow. :)

Need to get the new valance painted before its worth fitting the foglights, because they will both be fitted at the same time, and the manifold will require some 'adjustment' of the exhaust first, but that can hopefully be done fairly soon!

Steering wheel can definitely go on. Hopefully tomorrow. :)

I sold my first car about 18 months ago, and I have had 5 since then... :o

Admittedly I still have two of them, and I had another two of them as a pair as well.

MTechnic 1 steering wheel on!

Now the wooden gearknob really does look out of place... So I suppose eventually it will be put in the spare parts box. :p

fU38edAh.jpg

Thanks. :) I plan on keeping this one. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan!

After taking that picture I re-positioned the immobiliser box backwards a bit and spliced and tidied some of the wires coming out of it, which allowed me to finally fit the lower dash piece:

nfR2sU5h.jpg

Those aren't screws holding it on, they are the middle parts from Mazda trim push-clips! Worked perfectly.

The headlight angle adjuster is obviously not connected to anything because the chances of the hydraulic system working are basically nil. I may attempt to get it working one day. :p

Awesome stuff Lopéz :D

I love chromie E30's... I would quite like to replace my bumpers and window surrounds with chrome ones, but you can't get all the bits for the window trims as they never made chrome tourings... Though I'm still not entirely deterred. It would certainly look a bit different. :)

Your mountain escapades sound fun, if a little unsafe! ;) :p

On another note, I got home just now and decided to try and diagnose the wind noise from behind my head.

After a while of poking and prodding at the front and rear door seals and fiddling with things and checking the doors were properly aligned, I discovered the source...

The rear passenger window wasn't wound all the way up... Proper facepalm moment. :o

Just to be clear, it wasn't like half open... It appeared to be closed, but would wind up another centimetre or so until it was fully up in the recess. :p

Gave it a little bit of a thrash on the way home just now, not unkind levels, but 4.5K full/nearly full throttle along the dual carriageway, and now the sump pan gasket has let go and its dripping oil everywhere... At least I hope its the sump pan gasket, it could very well be a crankshaft oil seal or something. Its only really coating the sump from what I can see...

They do say of M20's that if you fix an oil leak, it will just start leaking from the next weakest oil seal, and so on and so forth... :rolleyes: :p

I'll hopefully know more tomorrow after work. :)

Last edited:
It was somewhat expected that I'd need to go through all the gaskets and seals eventually. :)

M20's love to leak, especially when they are driven spiritedly. I wouldn't call it ragging really, the engine had been fully up to temperature for a long while prior, and I was at least 1.5K away from the red when changing gear. :)

But as I say, to be expected. I doubt it had been driven hard for a long time prior to my ownership, poor thing is probably in shock! :D

Totally missed a joke there...HijACME!

Ha, very good...... ;)

Took the bash plate and front undertray off to investigate my leak.

9g2JCT0h.jpg

Firstly LOL at this... :p

IT94oSRh.jpg

5UArUBhh.jpg

And secondly LOL at the state of my sump pan gasket! If you can even call it a gasket anymore!

guVg5tPh.jpg

Also went to North London today to collect this:

dzqp6bih.jpg

Don't think I mentioned (or pictured) it before, but the original bonnet had rotted out on one corner and been pugged up at some point in the past, and it was starting to rot from the inside near the middle too. This one is very solid. :)

Back
Top Bottom