** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Dropping the subframe is the easiest way to do it in a shop, but there are alternative fiddly methods involving undoing the oil pump bolts through a tiny gap and having it fall into the sump pan and then wiggling it out of a tight gap which you can do if you so choose!

I did request that they use Loctite or something and not a cork gasket. :)

But yeah it really is that fiddly to do the sump gasket... I was surprised too... I was expecting to just drain the oil, undo the bolts around the sump, pop it off, clean it up, and bolt it back on with a new gasket... Nope!

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, I should have done this stuff myself. But 'ehh... :p

There will be pics upon its return. And I have some stuff I need to do to it myself once it is back, never fear! :)

Bonnet to fit, valance to paint, foglights to fit and fix, speakers to fit and wire up, head unit, surface rust on panels to whizz back then pickle, prime, and paint, door cards, headliner to strip and re-trim, sunroof seal, door seals, rear aerial to remove, various interior trim things to fiddle with and fix, the paintwork to buff, one outer rear arch to attempt to sand and rattle can to improve on the lacquer peel, etc.

The only things I plan to get other people to do are the rot repairs, and making my new exhaust. I only planned to get the garage to do the sump gasket, but I decided to just get a load of stuff out of the way by getting them to do it at the same time. :)

Last edited:
So I don't even have the car back yet, but I just spent £200 on a complete OEM optional OBC kit. Bought from a New York bus driver! :p

Its the fully fledged 13 button version with the light bar. Does all kinds of stuff! Coded immobiliser (like a pin code to start the car, how 80's cool is that?!?! it also sets an alarm off if you enter the wrong code three times!!), MPG average, speed average, range, remaining fuel in litres, programmable maximum speed warning, time and date, exterior temperature, and even a stopwatch! It also sounds a chime when the exterior temperature is below 3 degrees C, sounds another once it goes above 6 degrees, and you can control it from the indicator stalk as well.

I'm really excited about this bit. :D

Last edited:
Next Saturday. :) And that's fine, I appreciate that it won't be to everyone's tastes.

No it isn't back yet. :p

To be honest it's doing me good cos I'm focussing on my MX5 stuff instead at the moment til it comes back.

Nice to hear someone who is perhaps a little more sound of mind, encourage my stupid ideas... :p ;)

I hadn't changed my mind! Still on the list.

As there is nothing wrong with my exhaust (It is quite new I think!) I guess I could just get my headers fitted and have the stock exhaust "adjusted" so they fit together, and then have cutouts in the stock exhaust.

It's ready! Dad is going to collect it Wednesday morning for me. I hate it when he drives my cars but I'll make an exception because I wouldn't be able to get it for at least a week and a half myself. :)

Picked up the car, got 3 miles from the garage, ABS light came on and it judders under light braking from the front nearside, which is the corner where they replaced the wheel bearing. Brake pad wear indicator also came back on despite new pads and sensors... Turned around, went back.

Discovered a new rot hole, inner nearside rear arch where it joins to the sill, hidden behind the outer arch lip. I can fit my hand through it! :p :eek:

Never nice finding a new bit of rot, but I guess it can be dealt with at the same time as the sills, as when the sills are off there will be easy access to that area.

Here:

That is looking through the hole into the sill.

gOMKNUk.png

I will get the wheel off and have a bit of a prod over the weekend...

That is about 3 inches from top to bottom.

I can't chicken out now, I'm already in it up to my neck. :p Will just have to get it done a bit at a time... I'm also going to learn to weld and am looking at buying welding equipment to share with a mate. :)

Last edited:
Do I look like Turbotoaster to you? :eek:

(go ahead)

:p

e; Ahhh its not *that* bad. It extends to a lesser extent along the lip of the arch to around a third of the way around, and the bit by the sill where the hole is is rotten about an inch further in diameter around the hole which is already there. Will be sorted. :)

I already thought I might have to replace the inner arch on this corner, so its just confirmed that really.

I shall not be deterred so easily!

Last edited:
Drove it to Brighton then over to Newhaven, around a few back roads, and back home again last night. Tried a couple of emergency stops as well, no ABS light, no funny noises, and everything working normally. Strange.

My God I do love the noise it makes though. And with all the new bits and pieces it is so smooth it is unbelievable. At 70MPH on a smooth road it is whisper quiet, no wind noise, nothing. Its really great, better than any car I've had...

Back
Top Bottom