** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
Now I know what you are all thinking, but no this isn't the same as all of my other failed car purchases. "Why's that Acme?" I hear you ask. Well, I have wanted an E30 for years, and recently my situation changed in such a way that it was no longer a ridiculous prospect to buy one. So I started looking!

I wasn't too fussed what it was so long as it had a 6 cylinder engine. I had my heart set on a 1984 320i which had been converted to a 2.8 stroker, but it sold. I then had my heart set on a 1990 320i Touring which has been converted to an M50B25, but it was a shed and the seller was shady. Then one day while browsing, I saw this come up for sale just a few miles up the road:

jkSdBzm.png
9A6xuOO.png
LhlGgPt.png

A little rough around the edges and a tad pinker than I had hoped for, but I gave the seller a ring. A nice chap, retired, who seemed to care little about what the car sold for because all he wanted was for it to go to a good home, and not be broken for spares. I arranged to meet him the next day, gave it a look over, and had done the deal a few hours later. It was mine for a mere £1000 with a full years MOT and a lot of service history!

A few issues were noted when I viewed it, a bit of rust in the usual places but no severe rot (22/01/18 - This turns out to be false!!), an oil leak which looked like it had been left for years, and the paintwork condition were the three main concerns, but it just gives me something to do, and I have plenty of time and spare cash from my original budget to get it sorted out. It drove beautifully on the drive home with no issues to report, and despite being on 194,000 miles, the engine pulled like it was brand new.

I gave it a bit of a spruce up, a good clean and a bit of cutting compound on the pinkest parts, and set about buying a few bits and pieces for it.

e8RF2p1.jpg

First was the interior, a refurbished "comfort leather" interior, out of a 1988 E30 Touring, as well as a new gearstick gaiter, gearknob, and mats. I still have the lower dash panel to fit, an MTech 1 steering wheel to go on, and the headliner will be re-trimmed. I haven't yet decided if I am going to fit the vinyl door cards, because I quite like the 'anthracite' cloth cards. Here is my progress so far:

p1KB46C.jpg

Additional / progress pics:

mJgOnoc.jpg

9EC7Z3c.jpg

Ftb6obF.jpg

KZiQJvE.jpg

Vj4zrn4.jpg 2zFvU29.jpg

p1KB46C.jpg

I bought the leather interior as a job lot combined with some 15" BBS alloys, which were a factory option when the car was new. Here are a couple of the car as it looks now:

uWazqoq.jpg

08BherS.jpg

Additional pictures, and the mirror which has now been replaced with a slightly better condition unit:

zX6ZV5y.jpg

OCHcZRa.jpg

You can see here the extent of the stone chips on the lower valance, and the front foglights are destroyed. The one on the right had quite a lot of water in it, now drained, which is why it looks a bit yellower/rustier. You can also see where I have further polished and waxed a single section of the bonnet, as a test area, to see if it fades back to pink.
Q8auR6m.jpg

Vo0nMOf.jpg RvpSlor.jpg

khxR9zF.jpg

orrBFFR.jpg

bOsVYZp.jpg

SZuEDC9.jpg

Rust! Not that bad at all all things considered. I think. Erm...

One area of concern on the front inner wing, but the rest should be fairly straight-forward to repair. I haven't removed the SE sill covers yet so I'm not sure quite what horrors await me there, but I suspect some cutting and welding will be required.

Nearside rear arch
4PcE4EX.jpg

ogPbOvD.jpg

The worst of the two jacking points
kBa2oc6.jpg

Inner front wing, on the divide between the arch and the engine bay, above the chassis leg. Visible on the other side as well.
22J7faC.jpg

OtDwzMG.jpg

A random little bit on the floorpan
LejK8SQ.jpg

Both front footwell corners look like this. Not too bad, no visible holes all the way through, though the passenger footwell gets a little bit damp directly above this point. Can see here that I really need to take the sill covers off to inspect the full extent of rust on the front of the sills/lower front wings as well.
0HNtkTo.jpg

Nearside rear passenger door, may scrub up.
vk1Yl6B.jpg

Don't think I'll be scrubbing this up! (near rear towing eye, very common)
xzwVDSS.jpg

Nearside rear arch. I thought it was just surface blistering, but I gave it a forceful prod and oh... :p
Bt6Uokp.jpg

Near corners of rear lights under tailgate. Bit unusual! Need to take the lights out and see if it extends further.
hEuA1Fe.jpg
7ZpXlbo.jpg

Bits of the tailgate
wULyfgg.jpg

JGr8x7j.jpg

xSyqIFU.jpg

Underside of bonnet
q2zqSqS.jpg

Blister on drivers door corner, may scrub up.
FsBHe34.jpg

Behind headlight. Not too bad.
HZbCNqG.jpg

I also bought an original Acculux re-chargeable glove-box torch for £6 in tatty, non working condition from eBay. Some progress with that:

S4y9tUA.jpg

Clearly the rechargeable cell had leaked, so that part went in the bin.
Bu5FM8T.jpg

xpyWKOa.jpg

Soaking in some contact cleanery type stuff, also gave them a bit of a scrub up.
ZTyYqic.jpg

I also cleaned the casing, which is now white again! And I am buying a new re-chargeable cell, and will be fitting it back together, and re-soldering a few bits.

Anyway, there is my progress so far! I have also changed the plugs, adjusted the throttle cable, cleaned various things, and ordered some gaskets, rubber seals and filters which will all be fitted during its service which I hope to do very soon.

I will also adjust the tappets at the same time, though they should be OK because the head was re-built around 70,000 miles ago.

This one is here to stay, a proper project, with a proper budget, and I am a very excited Acme... :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
As of 13/06/2018 the car looks like this! :eek:

EISPgpd.jpg

tQJ5eIR.jpg

But it had some shiny shiny times prior to taking it off the road for welding! :)

Some pictures from Vanity BMW 2017. (From post #524)

nOhs6VH.jpg

ONp8jo8.jpg

BDMsago.jpg

Some pictures from Santa Pod BMW Show 2017. (From post #403)

DYfAFOo.jpg

Dnkqay2.jpg

QaIy78H.jpg

L2HQE8h.jpg

Checklist updated 25/08/2020 (note from future Acme, I have given up with the checklist)

Completed:

Full Comfort Leather interior incl. door cards fitted
MTechnic 1 385MM steering wheel fitted
Floor mats replaced with tailor fit mats
Leather gearstick gaiter replaced
Re-trimmed original gearknob with new leather
Aftermarket immobiliser loom partially cut out and immobiliser box re-located
Missing under-dash panel fitted
Boot cubby covers replaced
Drivers door seal replaced
Pinned up sagging headliner
Headliner board since removed to allow access to sunroof casette
Removed remnants of rear window stickers
Re-fitted OEM rear speaker pods
Fitted 4x Alpine speakers
Fitted genuine BMW radio blanking plate
Drivers door scraper trim replaced
Drivers door sensor replaced
Boot hinge covers replaced
Tail light seals replaced
Tailgate seal replaced
Boot pocket vent seals replaced

Valve cover gasket replaced
Rocker end plugs replaced
Valve clearances adjusted
Spark plugs replaced
Sump pan gasket replaced
PAS resevoir replaced
Clutch slave cylinder replaced incl clutch fluid renew
Brake pipes replaced incl brake fluid renew
Front nearside wheel bearing replaced
Brake pads with wear sensors fitted
Drop links replaced
Control arm 'lolipop' bushes replaced (with E36 M3 bushes)
Gearbox oil replaced
Differential oil replaced
Rear nearside brake caliper replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Oil & filter service
Wiper motor replaced (intermittent wiper functionality restored)
Prop shaft centre bearing replaced
Prop shaft to gearbox flexi coupling replaced
Selector shaft oil seal replaced
Fuel tank replaced
Fuel pump replaced
Fuel soft-lines replaced
Filler neck connecting hose replaced
Exhaust manifold and assoc. gaskets replaced
Exhaust replaced incl Supersport stainless rear and custom straight through front
Exhaust downpipe bracket replaced
Fixed offside headlight adjustment (manual)
Rear brake disks and pads replaced
Handbrake shoes and cables replaced
Rear brake soft-lines replaced
E30 M3 LSD with Z3M diff bushing installed
Rear subframe bushes replaced

Genuine BMW 15" Basketweave alloys fitted & spare replaced (factory option)
4x new tyres in original factory size (205 55 15)

Have since gone through about 5 sets of wheels!
Front and side amber indicator lenses re-fitted
Rear nearside tail-light replaced
Rear offside tail-light replaced
Drivers side door mirror replaced
Numberplates replaced
Complete bonnet replaced (original had rotted from the inside)
Nearside front footwell rubber/metal grommet re-fitted (preventing rain ingress)
Replaced both front fog-lights
Front valance re-sprayed
Rear valance partially re-sprayed
Full DA-polish of entire car, followed by paint touch-up
Black trims restored
Bonnet badge replaced with genuine item (new)
Boot badge replaced with genuine item (used)
Genuine IS front lip fitted

Replacement inner sill, outer sill, and rear arch for nearside purchased
Nearside inner sill cut and welded
Nearside outer sill cut and welded
Offside outer sill cut and welded
Nearside front footwell cut and welded
Offside front footwell cut and welded
Offside front inner arch & engine tray cut and welded
Nearside rear outer arch cut and welded
Welding to boot floor/rear valance
Welding to inner rear nearside arch
Welding to inner offside rear arch
Replace fuel filler neck
Replace both front wings
Seam sealed, ground, filled, and painted welded repairs
Cavity waxed sills
Welding to tailgate opening lip
Weld repairs sealed and painted

To do (short term):

Tidy up fuel tank breather pipes
Replace cracking fuel line to fuel rail (again...)
Secure fuel filler neck properly

Mid term:

Re-do nearside sill and outer arch welding
Remove and weld up sunroof
Full re-spray and re-finishing of trims
Fit replacement trims
Fit replacement front and rear glass
Make new front exhaust out of stainless
Welding to inner front offside arch (not important, it is trimmed and treated)
Full underseal and cavity waxing
Repair ABS

Parts waiting to be fitted:

Spare 885 cylinder head with Schrick 272 cam
Alpina big bore throttle body
Alpina ECU
AVO RACE hybrid coilovers & GAZ billet pillow-ball top mounts

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Haha the back of the seat was even worse, i will get pics of it... Most fabric seats in E30's do this because some stitching comes undone and then they gradually get worse.

Mine was trashed because mine is one of the rarer E30's which has actually been used almost every day of its life. It has been used on country lanes for the last 15 years hence the rock damage :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one, a project log that we all seem to like!

All the best with it and just in case it goes **** up,

Its a shed,
Its going to go wrong,
It will break,
It will cost a lot of money,
Should have bought a Mondeo

:D

Soldato
Strangely, after not seeing one for ages I was next to a green E30 estate at some traffic lights today. Naturally, I thought of Acme :D

Best of luck with it!

Caporegime
Nice, well done mate, bout time you bought something that is worth while. I suspect many lessons will be learned and expertise gained from this car, which is what it's all about. Needs a bit of lows though. Not Grudas lows, just a centimetre or two.

Caporegime
OP
Nice, well done mate, bout time you bought something that is worth while. I suspect many lessons will be learned and expertise gained from this car, which is what it's all about. Needs a bit of lows though. Not Grudas lows, just a centimetre or two.

I agree, but there are more important matters to address first. :D

I love cutting back really badly oxidised paint like this, it's so rewarding :)

I can give you my address if you like, I'll leave the car out the front ;) ;)

I've borrowed a DA polisher from our poor weather meet chooser, Vox, which should serve to make things a bit easier. Though first I need to change the rocker end rubber bung things and the rocker cover gasket because I've been banned from parking it on the driveway due to the leakiness. :eek: :p

Caporegime
OP
Was done just before I bought it, documented in the history file. :)

I hear the belts on these are quite fragile and WILL snap if they aren't done every 40,000 miles at least. :p

Amber front indicator lenses and side repeaters on the way. Time to get rid of those pesky modern clear ones which someone put on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking impressive. Good move on changing the interior so quickly. That ripped driver's seat would've done me in every time I saw it if it were my car but with the leather interior there now it's looking really rather good.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks all. The gearknob does look slightly out of place being the only wooden part, but I quite like how it feels in the hand. Its an E36 Lux gearknob which I modified to fit. :)

And yes acemastr, thankfully this is the proper 170HP 2.5 6500RPM engine, not the 120HP 2.7 4500RPM weird eco engine. I think they only made it for US markets. I never really saw the point of those, they offer nothing over something like an M40B18 engined 318i other than 5HP and a better noise.

Back
Top Bottom