** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Shiny new exhaust.

p92jERE.jpg

bzaFlov.jpg

Cost many pennies.

I will miss the really loud exhaust sometimes...

Really loving the new exhaust now, it sounds like a proper old school BMW again. The old exhaust sounded a lot more aggressive and deep, but this one is nicely tuned, and you can hear all the other noises that were drowned out before. The slight intake noise, the lifters ticking, the slight whine from the driveline. It has made it really quite pleasant to run about in. :)

what oil have you been using ? I've been using 5w40 titan supersyn/M54
... seem to have a weep on the oil pan gasket (which would apparently be a dropping subframe replacement expense odyssey)
so was considering going something thicker 10w40/15w40, to see what haapens rather than adding any supplement in the oil,
some of the longlife ones seem to have specific chemical/esthers for seals too.
read https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/lucas-oil-stabilizer-helping.355702/page-4

what oil have you been using ? I've been using 5w40 titan supersyn/M54
... seem to have a weep on the oil pan gasket (which would apparently be a dropping subframe replacement expense odyssey)
so was considering going something thicker 10w40/15w40, to see what haapens rather than adding any supplement in the oil,
some of the longlife ones seem to have specific chemical/esthers for seals too.
read https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/lucas-oil-stabilizer-helping.355702/page-4

I use 10W40 semi synth. Shell Helix HX7 to be precise, but the specific oil I use is just because I bought a lot of it a long time ago.

Oil pan gasket isn't too bad as long as you have an engine support bar that can lift as well. Just have to loosen a bunch of stuff and yank it up a little bit, and there is enough room to slide the oil pan out.

I did mine in my first year or two of ownership.

Last edited:
Thanks hmmh - need an engine hoist/suport, so, is out of my home/DIY capabilities ...
for now, got some 1040 valvoline maxlife on it's way to see if that will help weap.

The old gal is definitely burning a little oil now, I can smell it.
It has always given me a slight whiff from time to time, but never lost any.
Now I can smell it pretty much every drive, but it still isn't really losing any, so it is only very slight.

I'm not sure if the engine is actually burning it in combustion, (it has got over 200,000 miles on the stock bottom end and I have driven it pretty hard for the last 7 years of its life, so it wouldn't shock me!), or if its the rear main seal leaking and getting on the exhaust and burning off, that has been leaking for years. I would have changed it, but it has always been my plan to do it when I eventually do the clutch.

It is probably a combination.

I intend to just ignore it unless it becomes an issue. :p

It has also started to become hard to re-start when it has been run from cold to hot and then turned off, not always but some of the time. It has done that occasionally since I owned it, up until recently it was probably only 4 or 5 times in my ownership and would start after a couple of attempts. But now it has done it 3 or 4 times in the past couple of weeks...

Sadly I don't think I can ignore that problem! So I will have to investigate.

I had some burning .. and MOT tester reminded me it would be problematic for cat.

It has also started to become hard to re-start when it has been run from cold to hot and then turned off
that was 100% my cam shaft sensor .. temporary stops like supermarket always an issue, whilst work when it had cooled no issue.

I had some burning .. and MOT tester reminded me it would be problematic for cat.

that was 100% my cam shaft sensor .. temporary stops like supermarket always an issue, whilst work when it had cooled no issue.

No cat fortunately. Too old.

There's no cam sensor on these, and I already replaced the crank position sensor recently after the old one failed.

From some reading it sounds like it might be some fuel return valve or something. The forums all say "they do that sir" whenever anyone has asked.

Although I think I also have a sticky injector so I doubt that is helping. I need to remember to send my spare set off to be refurbished so that I can swap them over.

Last edited:
Been having stumbling issues under load, I was sure it was ignition because my cables were pretty old and I had seen them arc on the exhaust heatshield in the past, so I bit the bullet and bought replacements which were £120~ for the set...

Fitted them and went for a 20 mile drive, no stumbling! Fixed, I thought! And then on the way home it started to happen again. I gave the plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm a quick check and clean up, but I'm fairly sure its actually a fuel issue and I've been barking up the wrong tree.

I have a spare fuel pump so I'm going to swap them over, and fit a new fuel filter while I'm there, see if that sorts it. :o

e; also ticked over 208,000 miles on the test drive today. :)

Last edited:
Needed to make an emergency 200 mile drive to visit family and I was still having the stumbling issue which is fine when pootling about locally but not so much for a motorway jaunt.
So I packed up the car, and fitted a new fuel filter and fuel pump, and hit the road.

Old fuel filter and new fuel pump here, look I can't be trusted to document things logically... :p

BjJLYOg.jpeg

The new fuel pump (a cheap Intermotor £46 one from eBay) is an absolute tonne quieter than the 30+ year old genuine pump it replaced.

Unfortunately the drive was still pretty touch and go with the engine breaking up badly right where I needed it to not do that, at crusing RPM, but I made it there.

52dALnG.jpeg

When there I changed the spark plugs for a new set, the old ones looked OK but they were due changing at 6 years / at least 10,000 miles old.

4Mj8jTa.jpeg

My key also snapped in the door lock, which was ideal as I was hundreds of miles from home and didn't have a spare key... :o

K5qCqYI.jpeg

So I had to wait for a relative to bring me my spare key all that way, which they duly did, and I got 4 new keys cut... :p

While I waited, I was driving this, which is easily the worst car I've ever driven. CVT transmissions can rot in hell, they are absolutely disobedient. I was immensely relieved to get back into my E30 after a few days of driving it, it was like getting out of a toy car which vaguely does what you tell it to (but not really), and getting into a proper car.

5YMXLue.jpeg

One of my rear window winders also snapped clean in half, which I found quite impressive given it is made of metal with reinforcing ribs on the back...

4guGZOl.jpeg

So I have now replaced it with one from a BMW 2002. Mismatched window winders add horsepower so I hear.

Stumbling issue was still there after changing the plugs, so I put a bottle of Forte petrol injector cleaner in the tank, and it fixed the problem almost straight away...

So lets see, I fitted new ignition ignition leads (which are expensive on an E30...), changed cap and rotor arm, fitted a set of new NGK spark plugs, a new fuel pump, and a new fuel filter, and in the end all I needed to do was tip some magical injector cleaning soup in the tank... Well... At least I shouldn't have to worry about all the other bits for a few years now I guess... :rolleyes:

Oh and a nice bright yellow man on a motorbike pointed a hairdryer at me before this trip, and when I got home I had some lovely photos waiting!

VM4LD4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom