** Acme's [Akagi's] Retro Odyssey! From Apple ][ to Pentium 4. Repair, modding, and more! **

I have these cases, both feel fairly cheap, but they are definitely of their time.

Put in the loft for now... I have other cases coming, so I may end up giving these away.

The one on the left is a RAIDMAX Scorpio 868W, the one on the right is an Inter-Tech IT-2399.

PuIT7aqh.jpg
s4d39Uph.jpg

Last edited:
I connected the fans to the fan controller thing, and it turns out it isn't a manual controller, it has a temperature target. And the LEDs on the fans blink when the speed is too low, so I wont use that part of it.

I connected up the temperature probes, and they seem to work at least! I'm calling it "done" now, so I treated it to a gel "Pentium 4" badge. :)

I also discovered that the front fan hasn't been spinning, because the air filter foam in the front was stuck in the blades... So I removed it, which means you can now see the fan support braces through the grille... I quite like it!

ADWIWKfh.jpg
3PrzSXhh.jpg

PfJYXtU.jpg

I need to put a screw in the other side of the top disk drive to straighten it, but its always safe to leave one job to do, otherwise something will break. :D

And I opened up the Olivetti to remove the Varta barrel battery...

3c3580C.jpg

Only to discover it doesn't have one! So I put it back together.

BZVyywm.jpg

Its very clean inside! It also seems to have a 125mb hard drive... So I'm not sure why I saw 20mb! I need to double check that.

Last edited:
Introducing another of my systems, which has been in the loft for quite some time. A Dell Precision T5400.

I used to use this for Folding@Home back when I did it for the OcUK team, because it has two PCI-E X16 slots and a fairly beefy power supply. It also acted as my backup server during that time, and I don't think I ever dusted it.

It originally had a dual core Xeon and 4GB of ECC DDR2, and it has for a long time been sporting a pair of quad core Xeons and 32GB of ECC DDR2. I think it also has a GT210 in this picture.

A before and after of todays work!

RSK9mSu.jpg

brVhA6p.jpg

Cleaning it up:

Disgusting... :p

acKFvae.jpg

The boot drive is a 120GB SSD which I had just shoved in an antistatic bag and let sit loosely in one of the hard drive bays

kW1ISs5.jpg

KTFd2M8.jpg

When I upgraded the CPUs, I couldn't find an original heatsink, so I bought that Akasa one. Hence the mismatch.

yNRmwBl.jpg

OCs0FOo.jpg

Yuck.

XRAFT1H.jpg

Drive cage, facia, and all the fans removed...

NKh5Bv9.jpg

g09ZWoU.jpg

After a good brushing and dusting!

KIEzjkS.jpg

MuuxDEk.jpg

Upgrades:

A period correct GPU, thanks to @rare for sending me this!

A lovely Gainward GTX260 Core 216. I think its one of the ones with 3/4 of a GB because they wanted to be awkward. :p

And also a network adapter, because the onboard NIC in the machine doesn't work.

I8TlO1p.jpg

Slight problem with the card retention mechanism...

2n8dOFi.jpg

Solved... *cough*

tQWleF5.jpg

1MJ4BRA.jpg

I have also mounted the SSD to the bottom of the DVD drive, and re-routed the cabling as best I can. I have also opted not to re-install the HDD cages, but I may reconsider because it also integrates the RAM cooling fan.

MpHWA6Q.jpg

d4ZDLZO.jpg

7DM1Gbf.jpg

And done!

brVhA6p.jpg

First power on and RAM issues:

Poxy hell, just a few complaints then! Its like one of my famous car purchases... Its fine honest! :eek:

mG2lB8x.jpg

Looking in the BIOS, it seems a few sticks are not happy...

o8vnhwk.jpg

The cards are detected properly though, which is good!

xcX7EID.jpg

And also the system time and date are correct after all this time! Nice.

ibjPktK.jpg

First I tried re-seating it all...

hvXOfVZ.jpg

That worked! But it did show off a bug in this BIOS revision... Can you spot the problem?

xQbU7sv.jpg

After some removing and power cycling and re-inserting and power cycling...

LzDnsGf.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that - it was just a version of Windows 7 released ahead of its time before hardware support had caught up. Bet it's fairly problem free these days

I guess we'll see!

At least I won't have the issue a lot of people had where they complained it was slow, because their XP era machine couldn't drive it. :)

I've actually NEVER used Vista on anything other than underpowered junk, so perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

I am being tested by this computer... :p

I can't install Windows because the installation keeps hanging at the "completing installation" step.

Semi failed troubleshooting:

Every time it fails and I re-boot, I have to start the install again from scratch. At this point I have practically memorised the product key!

R7UqX6w.jpg

Ran an extended memory test / system self test which took over 3 hours to complete...

ehYdARM.jpg

It passed everything.

FkJEutq.jpg

Attempted to try another SSD which I stole out of my laptop...

LWbTPEU.jpg

It didn't like it...

zSBIEfM.jpg

Tried to make it like it...

Huh? But you just said.......... what

r1a3oU0.jpg

Doesn't matter, it still didn't like it.

2EmbXFc.jpg

Perhaps it doesn't have enough capacity. But I had Windows 10 installed on this when it was in my laptop so surely it must do...

Tried a different graphics card...

g0CR7jr.jpg

No dice there either.

Next thing I am going to do is try installing from a different DVD drive.

If that doesn't work, I am going to burn a fresh install DVD.

If that doesn't work, I have ordered a new SSD, so I'll try that.

If that doesn't work... Well, I have also ordered a pair of upgrade CPUs, to max out the machine. X5460s!

If that doesn't work (and I wouldn't expect it to, how often to CPUs fail really?) then I'll buy a replacement motherboard I guess!

Lets see how far down that list I have to go... :o

Last edited:
I liked Vista, it was a pretty decent OS in the end

Was only 2 problems with Vista really - some of the background processes were unoptimised resulting in the system always being slight busy with the knock on effect of that and some stuff was just slightly awkward flow wise. A lot of the changes in 7 are really minor but make all the difference when you are using the OS daily, especially if operating more than one system. Sadly things they've not learnt with 10/11.

The one on the left is a RAIDMAX Scorpio 868W, the one on the right is an Inter-Tech IT-2399.

PuIT7aqh.jpg

That kind of design skates a thin line between cool and tacky - made with premium materials and slightly understated it would be a great looking case, with cheaper materials and just a touch shouty it leans towards tacky.

@Rroff this one is definitely tacky!

Right so, I tried a slightly different Vista ISO, on a fresh DVD, and used my known-good USB DVD drive.

The setup failed at the same spot, during the final step after the main install, but this time instead of a lockup I got a rather useful BSOD!

0x00000101 "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

"This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval."

So it could be CPU related (how convenient that I have a new pair of CPUs on the way, then...) or it might still be a RAM issue.

One last go for the night, with half the RAM removed.

Was only 2 problems with Vista really - some of the background processes were unoptimised resulting in the system always being slight busy with the knock on effect of that and some stuff was just slightly awkward flow wise. A lot of the changes in 7 are really minor but make all the difference when you are using the OS daily, especially if operating more than one system. Sadly things they've not learnt with 10/11.

Interesting to know. I did the same as most and went from XP straight to 7, so I've never really experienced it myself, nor have I given it a chance until now.

I doubt I'll use this machine heavily enough to notice!

Last edited:
So it turns out that I am a moron. I know this is a shock to you all.

The only thing I had added into the configuration since it was last working was the network card.

I had apparently completely forgotten that fact... Naturally removing it resolved the issues immediately...

sTFSkwB.jpg

I finally arrived at this after first eliminating absolutely everything else... I tried installing with half the RAM slots populated, I tried the other RAM slots, I tried the other RAM sticks, I tried one RAM stick, I tried another GPU, I stole the SSD out of my laptop and formatted it (good job me!) to try that, I tried another optical drive, I burned another copy of Vista to another disk, I even changed some BIOS settings, and ordered another SSD, (order since cancelled...) before finally... It dawned on me...

I must have half installed Windows to and re-formatted that poor Gigabyte SSD about a dozen times... :o

So... The onboard NIC still doesn't work. It is detected, and the drivers automatically install, but it doesn't detect when a cable is connected.

I found the Broadcom chip on the board and had a look at the condition of the components around it, and there was a tiny surface mount resistor that looked a little crooked. I gave it a gentle prod, and it fell off...

Circled here in red:

NxoZjXX.png

So, thats quite likely to be the issue I'd imagine. I have a Microsoft Surface USB to ethernet adapter somewhere, I'm going to see if I can use that... If I can, problem solved as far as I'm concerned!

Before I resign myself to that solution though, I am going to see if I can install the drivers without the network card installed, and then see if it will boot into windows and work. Fingers crossed... I am not holding out hope! :p

e; That didn't work, though the BSOD didn't occur when the card was installed in the second PCI-E x16 slot. Regardless, I can't make the drivers work anyway, so USB thingy it is... It better work or I might lose it. :o

Last edited:
I actually liked vista as well, it was my first 64bit OS... and the condition that i installed was it must work with Battlefield 2. and it worked fine. Im not sure on the system , i think it was the i7 920, with 6gb RAM which is probably why i thought it was speedy and our corporate pc at time was a pentium 4 and literally took 10 minutes to boot up

I actually liked vista as well, it was my first 64bit OS... and the condition that i installed was it must work with Battlefield 2. and it worked fine. Im not sure on the system , i think it was the i7 920, with 6gb RAM which is probably why i thought it was speedy and our corporate pc at time was a pentium 4 and literally took 10 minutes to boot up

I can see an i7 feeling pretty quick after using a P4! :p

When using the Dell earlier on I had to keep reminding myself that I can have a few tabs open without the machine going into meltdown. With the P4 system I was in a habit of only having one thing going at a time.

In other news, I picked up a parts machine for free. An interesting looking case, but it was bashed and bent and had paint scraped off of it and buttons missing, so I decided to just strip everything useful out of it.

z6u3QhS.jpg

Tear-down and parts pilfered:

Bit of a birdsnest :o

zIuG908.jpg

Cold cathode! When was the last time you saw one of those?

YWMpSeo.jpg

Soundblaster Live! This was the main reason I was interested in it... This will go nicely in the Me machine that is having trouble giving me audio. That is of course assuming the Windows 98SE driver works!

xPoIHa5.jpg

PalitDaytona MX440 64MB. It works, but what else is there to say about it? It has a cool purple PCB I guess! :p

X7iTRJ8.jpg

A mishmash of RAM. The SuperTalent stick is interesting.

6O6H0Cy.jpg

Asus A7V8X-X socket A board

MJHsOVD.jpg

Athlon XP 2600+

9aXW7HW.jpg

A nice (relatively of course) Hiper PSU!

QGfewNq.jpg

Cheapy blue CPU heatsink, the fan doesn't light up.

FkjWHZx.jpg

The cathode may live to see another day!

iHOBPcd.jpg

A couple of Hitachi Deskstars, a 150GB and a 180GB? They say 123.5GB and 164GB on them.

ONlgfUs.jpg

hdwqgxA.jpg

Another DVD writer

mZUiKv9.jpg

Good quality Samsung floppy drive

SkwbzLy.jpg

And just about every other scrap of usefulness

NglJ3kr.jpg

Cold cathode! When was the last time you saw one of those?
Quite often actually :) (My "upstairs" PC has a pair of Green ones that survived a good few upgrades and I refuse to throw away, mind you it's almost Retro in it's own right - i5 2500, and 3 Optical drives for CD/DVD/Bluray ripping duties)

Athlon XP 2600+

9aXW7HW.jpg
2500+ Barton core - decent OC stepping iirc

A couple of Hitachi Deskstars, a 150GB and a 180GB? They say 123.5GB and 164GB on them.
120GB and 160GB. I can't be bothered to work it out, but probably from a time when HDD manufacturers were a bit more "honest", and you actually got 120GB and 160GB formatted capacity. (Due to the difference in Gigabytes vs Gibibytes 1024 vs 1000)

2500+ Barton core - decent OC stepping iirc

120GB and 160GB. I can't be bothered to work it out, but probably from a time when HDD manufacturers were a bit more "honest", and you actually got 120GB and 160GB formatted capacity. (Due to the difference in Gigabytes vs Gibibytes 1024 vs 1000)

That makes sense! Hence "2500" written on it. CPU-Z said its a 2600+ hence my confusion. :)

Ah, cool, thanks for explaining!

The Precision now has 2x Xeon X5460 at 3.16GHz.

Why you ask? Because I can I say. :p

I don't know, something about the CPU clock speed starting with a 3 instead of a 2 makes it seem more beastly...

But that is another 500MHz per core, so it's almost like having an extra 1.5 cores! Or something...

Last edited:
Back together with the X5460s and the drive cage and RAM fan are back in, because a.) the RAM gets extremely hot, and b.) the POST moans at me about the fan being missing and there is no way to disable that test. :p

8rnqc8O.jpg

1QOLLMc.jpg

Remember these widgets? :p

BjtU8KC.jpg

In other news, the Soundblaster Live! is now in the Me machine, Windows 98 drivers installed perfectly, and I have sound!

I also added a rear fan grille to make it look less jank.

Bk0NLcf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom