Acrobat Reader is now 657 megabytes in size!

I know that terabyte-sized drives are cheap now, but seriously? It's no wonder why it takes a few seconds to open up, even being on a solid state drive. This is just the Reader as well, not the full works. Unfortunately it's my work's machine so I can't change PDF readers. I just wonder why it needs to be so big?

On my home machine, I use Foxit Reader which is just an 8.87MB executable plus a 6.25KB ini file. It opens any PDF I throw at it, and it can edit the forms-based ones too like on Adobe.

617ES9e.png

Soldato
This is just the Reader as well, not the full works.
As much as i hate anything Adobe it's called 'Acrobat' Reader and not PDF reader. Basically there's a load of stuff in it that most people couldn't give a rats ass about like the ability to play embedded video & audio, database functionality, and it even has a mail server built in for sending and collecting data people put into a PDF.

Soldato
OP
As much as i hate anything Adobe it's called 'Acrobat' Reader and not PDF reader. Basically there's a load of stuff in it that most people couldn't give a rats ass about like the ability to play embedded video & audio, database functionality, and it even has a mail server built in for sending and collecting data people put into a PDF.

Erm. Can you please repeat back to me what my thread title is? :D

Soldato
Ah that might make sense. A full program with some of its code disabled if you don't have a full license. It reminds me of CPUs that have some features disabled e.g. a core locked (removed from play) if paying less for the same CPU.

From a development perspective it makes perfect sense. Why double up on development for what's essential duplicate core features.

Man of Honour
I still am puzzled why people are installing dedicated PDF readers, not needed on both mobile and desktop. Google Drive opens PDFs on Android, and the web browser handles PDFs on desktop as mentioned above by a bunch of us.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still am puzzled why people are installing dedicated PDF readers, not needed on both mobile and desktop. Google Drive opens PDFs on Android, and the web browser handles PDFs on desktop as mentioned above by a bunch of us.
garbage zoom, search, printing, side-by-side displaying and all sorts of reasons. I also find firefox refresh to be **** poor when scrolling long pdfs vs adobe reader.

Don
Because I'd rather my pdfs open on my left monitor rather than just in a tab on chrome on my right monitor.

Zoom is also terrible on chromes pdf reader, as are the printing options.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fair about the need for some advanced stuff like printing or zooming, although I have to say I have used both with PDFs and never saw an issue with either? What kind of general browser settings for smooth scroll/acceleration etc are people using in their browsers? You even get a dedicated PDF toolbar on the main window with controls for printing etc.

9Kjfvct.png

Regarding opening in a new tab vs a dedicated window that can sit on another monitor, like all browsers, just drag the tab out of its parent window, you now have a window to move to wherever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom