Actually not a joke, Cornwall getting a spaceport

Soldato
yes this idea has been around a long time ,before i moved down here 5 or so years ago .newquay gets some stick but its an awesome place ,just the droves of people who come down in vastly increasing numbers who spoil it ,the negative comments about cormwall are pure jealousy ,its not our fault you live somewhere crap tbh :p

Soldato
Not like Adult social care and all other local and national government spending is dependant on a thriving industrial base however. Industry pays people who pay taxes which pay for spending. Not magic money from government coffers. Some seed money is desirable to attract investment and £12m is relative peanuts in this regard.

Associate
Newquay airport was designated an emergency landing spot for the shuttle due to it being one of the biggest runways in Europe. So not the daftest idea in the world.

Caporegime
Yeah it involves private industry taking vast amounts of public money.

And this is obviously something to applaud, because giving private industry public money always works so well. Like when they run the prisons, etc.

Why can't he just raise the money to build his own runway.

Hell, he's a multi-billionaire... why can't he put up the £20m entirely himself? He could. Doesn't need to raid the public purse.

Grab a hacksaw and chop Cornwall off from the rest of the world, go back to the stone ages you seem so keen to live in.

Caporegime
Grab a hacksaw and chop Cornwall off from the rest of the world, go back to the stone ages you seem so keen to live in.
How does spending public money on white elephants help us move to a bright new future?

We don't even have decent broadband in many places down here so a 20m private runway for Branson and co. isn't where I'd prioritise the money. I'd put some decent connectivity in instead.

Back
Top Bottom