Adding a gpu.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm having a hard time seeing how to add a gpu to my brother's current build.

fEnNBbq.jpeg
The metal won't slot out and I'm unsure which cable to use, the gpu has an 8 pin slot.
Thanks

Can't tell if there are any spare cables coming from that psu? If not then you will either need a new psu, or to get a gpu which gets all its power from the slot.

Seems to be labelled as 550W, is that right?

What model gpu are you fitting?

The metal pcie slot covers can be a bit of a pain to get out sometimes. If there are no screws holding then on then they will be single-use and you'll have to try to bend them off (if you can then bend back and forth until the metal joint fatigues and snaps rather than trying to pull off directly). You may be able to get leverage by poking a screwdriver into some of the holes in the slot covers.

As above - you're best of using a flat head screwdriver in the slots (yellow) in the slot covers (pink), and then bending it up and down, eventually the ends of the metal will snap off - these type of covers can't be replaced.

The cable highlighted in green tucked away may be a PCI-E power cable either 6 pin/6+2/or 8 pin. If it isn't a 6+2 or 8 pin, then the best option would be to buy a new power supply.

LlGRaM4.jpg

Can't tell if there are any spare cables coming from that psu? If not then you will either need a new psu, or to get a gpu which gets all its power from the slot.

Seems to be labelled as 550W, is that right?

What model gpu are you fitting?

The metal pcie slot covers can be a bit of a pain to get out sometimes. If there are no screws holding then on then they will be single-use and you'll have to try to bend them off (if you can then bend back and forth until the metal joint fatigues and snaps rather than trying to pull off directly). You may be able to get leverage by poking a screwdriver into some of the holes in the slot covers.
It's a MSI Radeon 570 Rx, it is a 550w, there seems to be something directly across from the PSU that has all the other parts plugged in. There aren't spare cables that I can see.

As above - you're best of using a flat head screwdriver in the slots (yellow) in the slot covers (pink), and then bending it up and down, eventually the ends of the metal will snap off - these type of covers can't be replaced.

The cable highlighted in green tucked away may be a PCI-E power cable either 6 pin/6+2/or 8 pin. If it isn't a 6+2 or 8 pin, then the best option would be to buy a new power suppl
Care to suggest a PSU? It's a MSI Radeon 570 Rx he has bought, there's a couple of fans that he didn't even know he had.

It's a MSI Radeon 570 Rx, it is a 550w, there seems to be something directly across from the PSU that has all the other parts plugged in. There aren't spare cables that I can see.
Should just need one 8 pin cable from the PSU if it has one then, and 550W should be sufficient (msi recommended 450W).

I think most of the cables opposite the PSU are going into the front I/O panel (front USB ports, power button etc) and an optical drive.

Not the most through search but Win Power+Plus MP550 did find me a few hits and it looks like it has no PCIe power cables just Molex. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable using only Molex<>PCIe adaptors as that power supply just doesn't inspire confidence.

Would probably be fine...

Normal advice is to go for one with a 10 year warranty and decent reputation, something like a corsair rm series, seasonic focus (or ones based on that platform like a Phanteks Amp). Reason being a PSU could easily outlive the rest of your pc if you get a good one, and it reduces the likelihood of a dodgy psu killing the rest of the system if it has a problem, and can avoid problems with system stability which some really poor quality psus generate.

For older builds at the more budget end I guess you could argue that's not so important. Comes down to how you weigh up the pros and cons and what your brother's budget is.

That msi psu seems to have a 5 year warranty which is OK, and quick google shows a review that thinks it's decent.

I would consider getting a 650W model, as it would give more options for future upgrades...

Personally I would prefer one of these, but that MSI one you mentioned will likely do the job fine, and will of course cost less.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £151.08 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

Last edited:
I would consider getting a 650W model, as it would give more options for future upgrades...

I agree with this. Gives you gaming room if you happen to get a 3070 or so in the future and the price isn't that much more than a 550 watt PSU.

I would say that you'd need to look at 750 watts or more if you were definitely getting a 3080 though but that's unlikely given your needs.

This is my go to for most gaming builds

Back
Top Bottom