Adding another router to sky

Associate
I have brought another router to use with my sky sr102 modem.

I want better wifi coverage as the sr102 is very poor, I have connected an Ethernet cable from the lan socket of my sky sr102 to the wan socket on my new router.

I have turned the wifi off on the sky router, and everything seems to work fine, but I am only getting approx. 8 - 15 mbs when I do a broadband speed test on the wifi, if I plug my laptop into the sky router and connect via the lan, I am getting speeds of 35 - 40 mbs

Am I doing something wrong or will this not work what I am trying to do

Soldato
Start with basic stuff like the make and model of the router you've added.

You'd usually configure your second router as an access point (google 'router as access point') and connect them together LAN-to-LAN. If you don't you'll have a double NAT situation (google 'double nat').

Soldato
As above, you need to connect LAN to LAN and disable the DHCP server on the new router. You also need to change the IP address of the router to something that won't conflict with the Sky router (eg if the Sky is 192.168.0.1, change the new router to 192.168.0.2). That way you won't get double NAT issues as everything will be under a single network.

What model is the new router? And any idea on the Wi-Fi adapter in the laptop itself? You can check device manager and it should tell you under "Network Adapters".

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks, do I disable the WiFi on the sky router after then as well.

The router I have got is a edimax br-6208ac

http://setuprouter.com/router/edimax/br-6208ac/manuals.htm

Last night I connected just my sky router and checked the speed WiFi and lan, lan I'm getting approx 35 - 40mps, but WiFi getting 15mps, checked on phone and laptop, shouldn't I be getting more or could the sky router be faulty

Soldato
According to the user manual that router has an access point mode you can select.

It’s worth downloading one of the wireless scanner apps and checking how busy the available channels are.

Back
Top Bottom