Adding AP to Sky Q setup

Soldato
Hopefully not toooo stooped a question, but I am thinking on how to improve my home network.

We have Sky Q (Silver and 3 mini boxes) and get around 27Mbps fibre speed to the house. The (not many) wired devices tend to see this speed (e.g. PS4 over powerline) but wireless rarely above 15Mbps. Sky say that this is all we can expect(!), i.e. around 50-60% of fibre speeds.....because we have so many devices connected - when they checked, whilst on last phone call to them, there were 36 devices. Majority of these are Hue lights, Tado heating, Sonos speakers.

So, a lot of the time everything works just fine, but there can be serious slow downs on the wireless. This does not appear to be linked to 'usage' as can happen when I am working from home on laptop, with very little else actually doing anything. Connectivity drops out, although wired seems just fine still.

As Sky say it is my fault for having a large house and so many devices using the network (most of these, of course, are really not using much bandwidth), I was thinking of perhaps looking at buying a quality AP, connecting it to a Gigabit switch I use, and using this as an additional wireless network just for high-priority wireless needs, such as VPN on work laptop. Thinking their are channels/airspace I can have this in that should have minimal impact on the existing mesh and all that jazz.....and saves completely reconfiguring the Q setup.

Would this work? Recommendations? Ubiquiti?

Associate
We have a large house (40 rooms) and have sky Q in the quiet room and a mini in the family room. The house is a new build and has cat 6 cable run to all rooms from a room with rack mounted switches in (and the bt home hub and CCTV control). We have 2 AP’s UniFi AP AC pro’s and get very good wireless coverage, would definitely recommend them.

Best

Wulf

Back
Top Bottom