Additional 4-wire CPU connector?

Associate
Just having a little read before starting my upgrade:

GeForce6100 Skt 754, Sempron CPU, etc

and I came across this:

"Many new motherboards require an additional 12V, 4-wire connector for the CPU, which most power supplies older than two years will lack."

I've already bought a 20-to-24-pin adaptor for the PSU (Powerup LC-B350ATX), but hadn't seen anything about the CPU connector when I read loads of reviews for this mobo, just came across the info on a "how to" site.

Sorry if I'm asking something very elementary, but I'm just going into tearful "maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew" mode :( ... it's so long since I did anything to my PC because I let bro do my last upgrade because he was here... and he still is, but that's another story.

clemenzina
blueEek.gif

Associate
OP
As I said above, Gaverick : Powerup LC-B350ATX.

I've found exactly the same model number under several different brand names, someone said LC = L&C = Deer, who make cheapos, but it's never given any problems.

clemenzina

Soldato
Could they be talking about the 4-pin connector on P4 boards?

Generally, I have only seen 3 gotcha's with ATX PSUs and they can all be sorted with an adapter;

1. Six-pin connector for graphics cards
2. 24-pin ATX Motherboard connector
3. SATA power connector

Each adapter will cost £4-£10 depending on where you buy them. If you are spending lots on the new PC, then buy a new PSU too. As you already know - practically the only computer parts that will survive an upgrade are the system case and the PSU.

The PSU is the only device that actually supplies power. Lots of frustrating problems can be avoided with a good PSU. It also has a huge impact on the overall system stability, especially when overclocked.

Associate
OP
Thank you. As i said, I tried to think ahead and bought the 24-pin adapter 'just in case'... the thought of another £40-50 for a good basic PSU is scary, I'll plough on and see what happens. I can always put existing system back together again - famous last words :p

clemenzina

Associate
OP
PSU had req'd 4-pin connector for CPU, I'd tucked it away tidily with cable ties.

Upgrade completed but system won't POST :( :mad: *weep, wail*

The fans are working and a green LED on front of case is going on and off slowly. On newegg.com (an American retailer that's sold loads of these boards) I found a user-review:

"Needed to flash the BIOS in order to use DDR400 RAM, system would not POST, had to put in some old RAM in order to start system".

Of course I don't have any old DDR, this is my first lot, and it's DDR400 :(

(Have tried other possibilities for no-POST, like changing floppy drive, cables etc etc.)

Don't suppose anyone knows of a RAM charity or lending library?

clemenzina

Back
Top Bottom