Additional Car Security

Soldato
Afternoon folks. Long time no speak!

I collect a MK7 Golf GTI next week (which has Keyless Entry) and am looking into additional security; if it's actually worth it and so on. I of course have a disklok I use from car to car as I change but the last car I spent money on for additional OBD protection for example was my MK7 Fiesta ST. I had an "OBD Portector" installed, but it was a few years ago and I am not sure if it's still a worthy addition or not, if better products are on the market and if indeed they are properly effective.

We have recently bumped up home security in various ways with a new house alarm, quality CCTV etc. We have a noisy pooch also which helps as he hears everything!

So, I wondered what your opinions were on adding extra security to the car and if current products on the market are worth their salt?

Cheers!

Soldato
You can use the OBDEleven 'dongle' to disable the keyless entry/exit, if you desire (and just use the remote fob in the normal fashion). This removes any concerns about theft using the keyless 'relay' devices.

Caporegime
Your car insurance is all you need, that and leaving the keys somewhere obvious so if someone does break in, they can just get the keys and be on their way.

I’d rather that than risk a potential altercation with myself or my family over the keys.

Soldato
Friend of mine up in Cumbria has a Mk.7 Golf R. On his driveway he has a huge sunken land anchor that he uses to secure his motorbike, but he has been known to use it to secure the Golf too. Unless they're rocking up with industrial cutting equipment, then anything that creates a problem for potential thieves and all that...

Man of Honour
Your car insurance is all you need, that and leaving the keys somewhere obvious so if someone does break in, they can just get the keys and be on their way.

I’d rather that than risk a potential altercation with myself or my family over the keys.

This. It's a whopping great lump of metal and plastic at the end of the day.

If some tard wants it enough to break into the house they can have it.

Soldato

Really, so you are happy to be out of pocket when it comes to replacing your vehicle? Perhaps you should be corrected to GAP insurance is all that you need...

Back
Top Bottom