Adjusting uPVC Door Hinge Adjustment

Soldato
Hi all,

We have bi-fold doors to the back of our 8 year old house. The last year or so the single door has been sticking, especially on warmer days. I looked online to see how to adjust the hinges and there's nothing that covers the type of hinge I have. At first glance they look similar but the adjustment method is clearly different. Here are some photos I took below:

y4mXowrPMqiPilAXnAO9kIqQSIEsaHQf797aG7vK83D2iQAvGa6_V69b1gr60LXhlnDbWFrq2xpxxob0oouj9O3uNlz4Z1OCHRyhqReFrIwkXS4Bv35be2jg5rWYdl5_XHm7wg8COWafcWnFKut98np-b0RgsKWN8Wto3fu-aGRkd9j-gssRu0YrJA6g0o7waOz

y4m6ePWanlZagd4xQxia_3373spOvurnuz2sAY56Ndc2r8DQH76Qk3eSwxy1iLsod0PbH49UMb_hJ-Jy4FfG3PMI-4r1iax4mq1Iq4kyaW2co711ZZ63d3Ul4AodElYsM5X0zUA09HTmdmtqGU-TerZe9mxUPO9mX130ZQPIwilWMG9ySHNDyEUeBhPtEc-cDU0

y4mlJ2bpDxeBi0gLVPp-DDIsBmjLSDk7vPoDTi0yh_kX-UO9lZpF6D9Y7TeBH-lSPtAHqNnDw8ZxBjn4vl6LEitSE642FLxyXGwNM6a7WnjgHc5M5V3G-iFoePB6ZGClgjyud3l-dKAns4sx5nPKgbQurtJdti2D_gSHCsolgFApNd_UeZHtt-jU0zfCBNygVuR

As you'll see, there isn't a screw underneath the plastic cap that can be adjusted with an allen key. None of the YouTube videos I have found cover this type of hinge.

Has anyone come across this before? I don't want to blindly faff with the hinge as I did something like that before and had the door stuck open until I retraced my steps. Thankfully it was a hot day.

Associate
looks like the hinges slide up and down in the tracks on the door. if me i would probably undo the three screws in the door slightly to see if it moves .then if there is a bit of movement slacken the other hinges off.

put something under the door to pack it up if you release all the hinges at once:). i assume you want the door to go up?.

though as a caveat i am hopeless at adjusting house doors :) looks like a bit of adjustment i presume the little pin will move it when slack maybe by pushing up or down according.

Soldato
Is that bottom photo looking down? If so the allen key adjuster should be underneath the hinge. Our was just the top hinge that needed adjustming when I did mine earlier in the year and everything else went up with it. Although you've got a little grub screw in the middle of your hinge so maybe these need loosening off first to allow movement.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.
The hinge pin is plain top and bottom in all hinges - no allen key slot.
The grub screw holds the pin in place. I did have a little joy loosening the grub screw on all three hinges, then chocking the door up with wood and then tightening the screws again, but there's no way I can believe that is intentional design - three little grub screws controlling vertical door position.

I think there's something in @gc123 's comment - I might try loosening the screws on the door side of the hinge and see if there's movement. If so, I'll chock/jack up again and loosen all three.

Back
Top Bottom