Adobe CS5 - Launched Monday 12th April

Soldato
Im not versed in photoshop with the wacom, and mainly got it for zbrush work.

BUT, the painting is sublime, using the pen as a proper paintbrush (shows the paintbrush tilting in realtime, and effecting the bristle layout) being able to control wetness of paint/load of paint etc, its pretty impressive!

it feels/looks like cs4 on a whole, but with little added extras.
oh and content fill blows my socks off. lol

Soldato
Ahh okeydoke. Not sure how much use that will be for retouching! If the content aware fill does work accurately and stand up to high scrutiny it could save me some time in comps, but I'm not sure what else I've seen that will be a marked improvement over CS4. I'm never one to first adopt so I'l keep an eye on it.

Soldato
having been tinkering with the content-aware type tools for GIMP, I have to say it's a brilliant tool. If the Adobe version is as good but with the more intuitive controls (due to 13 years of photoshop use...) it'll be great for all kinds of work.

Really hoping my work will buy my CS5 seeing as I pointed out that the version of photoshop I currently use (version 5.5) is 11 years old and newer version would let me work much more efficiently!

Valve

Soldato
Hmm, I have had a go with the content aware fill, and to be honest its outstanding with landscapes, as it works out horizons well, and makes bushes etc join perfectly. (A bit like those panoramic programs with a bit of patching) Bang 1 click and it lays out a base to be edited, not perfect, (has some smooth of blurred sections) but very very good for the 2 seconds it takes, its also not a resource hog which is great, on my 2.4gig dual core laptop.
However its most definitely not going to make photoshop super easy.
It fails to do anything that's not busy (not that I wanted it to make photos for me) For example I tried to fill some bag under the eyes with it, and it went mental and patched another eye onto her head, however I used it to completely removed an eye brow pretty well. It clearly uses some type of guess work via the patch tool, which is damn impressive, but because you can't control where is guessing from sometimes it chooses the right guess others its a mishmash of stuff.
I will have more off a mess about today and see if I can find more cool tools and tricks hidden in the menus and options.

Last edited:
Associate
Given this content aware fill a go. This is all done with three brush sweeps. Two on the lower rocks, one on the grassy bank.

Original resized RAW file.

s6o0291.jpg

Modified file.

s6o02911.jpg

Okay now what we all want - a 100% crop. Please excuse the compression artifacts and the softness - it was a discard - also excuse the wrong tagging info in the EXIF - didn't change it from the last shots

s6o02912.jpg

Soldato
how long would you say that took to do?
It's pretty decent looking even when cropped - not stunning when cropped but the normal picture looks very very good when changed!

Soldato
However its most definitely not going to make photoshop super easy.
It fails to do anything that's not busy (not that I wanted it to make photos for me) For example I tried to fill some bag under the eyes with it, and it went mental and patched another eye onto her head, however I used it to completely removed an eye brow pretty well. It clearly uses some type of guess work via the patch tool, which is damn impressive, but because you can't control where is guessing from sometimes it chooses the right guess others its a mishmash of stuff.
I will have more off a mess about today and see if I can find more cool tools and tricks hidden in the menus and options.

I've had a bit of a play and found that the content aware, when used with the heal brush seems to be related to the diameter of the brush you are using. I too worked on a face pic, initially tried a wide brush to quickly cover the area I wanted to heal and it gave me bits of eye brow etc. Then I changed to a much smaller brush, which gave me much better results.

I've had a quick play on the "pre-release" version, the content aware options (fill/healing brush etc) are far superior to that resynth. plugin for gimp,

Having spent a day or so playing with the resynth plugin I have to say there is little difference between the two. Ok selecting things is easier in photoshop with the heal brush and the smart select tool (which I'm amazed by...coming from photoshop 5.5...) but the actual working of the plugin produces some pretty similar results.

Back
Top Bottom