ADSL modems on Ubuntu and mounting my NTFS volumes

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Next question. It's possible to install the BT Voyager 105 modem to Linux using the eciadsl drivers supplied at flashtux. There are several available for different distros, Fedora, Gentoo etc. Anyway are any in the list suitable for Ubuntu? I can't afford a router at the mo so it's out of the question unfortunately. There is a quite a nice guide here which I'm going to give a go.

Also I have Linux on a dual boot. The hard disk disk is configured with two NTFS partitions, then the Ubuntu partition, then the swap. How do I go about mounting my NTFS volumes so I can read my Windows files, Mp3s etc in Ubuntu? I understand I can't write to the NTFS volume, but read access would be great. I'm trying to make out the guide in the FAQ currently but will need help!

Associate
you should be able to use the debian package seeing as ubuntu is a debian derivative but i could be wrong as ubuntu and debian aren't compatible in which case try the source package and compile with

./configure
make
then as root
make install

for ntfs add something like this to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /mnt/C ntfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,umask=0000 0 0

you'd need to create the appropriate directory in /mnt and you'd most likely need /dev/hda instead (got sata drives) and if the partitions are on the same drive as the ubuntu partition then you just need to know the partition number

Soldato
Hiya,
Modem:
The Debian packages from that site should be able to be installed on Ubuntu, as its a Debian based distro. You will want the I386 version if you installed with the default kernel. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you have the default kernel ;) )
Copy the file into the root of your home directory, and then install the file from a command line using:
Code:
su
dpkg -i eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb
If there are any messages about missing dependancies, then please don't try to fix it yourself- Post back with the error, as this will probably solve you a lot of grief.

NTFS Drive:
Open a terminal, then:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
Find the entry that is listed as NTFS and make a note of the partition number. (This is in Linux terms, not Windoze terms)
Open a terminal again and:
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Append this line at the end of the file, replacing NUM with the number of your NTFS partiton:
Code:
/dev/hda[b]NUM[/b]       /media/windows  ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0
(The drive will then be mounted in /media/windows)

Obviously, enter your password when it prompts.

-Leezer-

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
That's great, I like the way it mounts volumes in a pre-chosen folder. Thanks for the help so far chaps.

I got the following error with eciadsl:

Selecting previously deselected package eciadsl-usermode.
(Reading database ... 56661 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking eciadsl-usermode (from eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eciadsl-usermode:
eciadsl-usermode depends on pppoe; however:
Package pppoe is not installed.
dpkg: error processing eciadsl-usermode (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
eciadsl-usermode

...and there don't appear to be any other folders that belong with the eciadsl one so I don't think it installed anything.

Associate
Jonny69 said:
That's great, I like the way it mounts volumes in a pre-chosen folder. Thanks for the help so far chaps.

I got the following error with eciadsl:

Selecting previously deselected package eciadsl-usermode.
(Reading database ... 56661 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking eciadsl-usermode (from eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eciadsl-usermode:
eciadsl-usermode depends on pppoe; however:
Package pppoe is not installed.
dpkg: error processing eciadsl-usermode (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
eciadsl-usermode

...and there don't appear to be any other folders that belong with the eciadsl one so I don't think it installed anything.

Code:
sudo apt-get install pppoe

Then try again.

Soldato
Jonny69 said:

Hiya,
The folder is not pre-chosen at all ;)
All I did was to use the standard Linux convention for mounting drives- They can be mounted anywhere you want.
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/windows
That is the bit of code that defines & creates the directory where you wish to mount the volume, it's exactly the same as creating a new directory via Gnome.
Code:
/dev/hda[b]NUM[/b]       [COLOR=Red]/media/windows[/COLOR]  ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0
By editing the bit in red to an existing directory (Empty!) you can mount your HDD where you wish.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Soldato
Okeyday.
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/[color=red]YOURUSER[/color]/Desktop/windows
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/hdaNUM       /home/[color=red]YOURUSER[/color]/Desktop/windows
  ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0

Should put it in a folder named windows on your desktop. Bear in mind that Linux is case-sensitive.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom