Advanced driving courses - worthwhile?

Soldato
When I was renewing my car insurance yesterday, I noticed the checkbox for advanced driving course, and it got me wondering if they are worthwhile.

Do they have much of an impact on your insurance premiums? I am a middle aged driver with 9+ years of no claims, 0 points on my licence etc, so I am already starting from a fairly decent point with car insurance.

Aside from the insurance aspect, if you have done one did you find it beneficial?

There are a few different qualifications - which would you recommend?

I took out a new policy with Allianz. I used to compare the market to find quotes, and it was on compare the market that it had a tickbox for advanced driving qualifications.

I was really just wondering if (people who have completed a course) have found it has much of an impact on insurance costs.

Last edited:
There are some companies that have a low overhead model, i.e. internet only no call centre, and you will probably find these cheaper, e.g. esure, swiftcover.

Re the advanced driving, this might have made some difference if you got it shortly after you started driving, but as you are lower risk now I doubt it would make a great difference.

I hear they're worth it with the right instructor. Ex-police drivers are usually good, especially on the road awareness side of things (although I think you pick this up over time if you pay enough attention).

Perhaps a skid pan or car control day would be a good thing also.

I did a skid pan thing (short course with skid car uk I think) and it was well worth it. Learned a lot about the limits of grip and how to control the car.

I also now have a very good first hand opinion of why you should leave stability control enabled when driving on the road. ABS as well. Probably the biggest take-away for me.

Dunno about cars, but on motorcycles, advanced riding courses are one of the best things you can do.
Not sure if the same applies to the car world but - this. You probably won't save enough money to make it worth it from an insurance point of view - but the skills you learn, when taken with a suitable pinch of salt and integrated into your riding absolutley will save you an accident at some point.

The problem with all advanced riding and driving is the 'cliquey', superior anally retentive people it often attracts - I am told this is markedly worse in the car space.

If you do it as a new driver they might be. But after that, nope. Unless you need it for a job (I think a lot of professional driver jobs require it).

Better doing something practical which is going to train better car control and help avoid an accident. Like skidpan etc.

Advanced driving course is just about being more observant and driving defensively. You can teach yourself that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom