Advice: 5.1 Cinema kit DVD amped...

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Looking at getting a 5.1 package with DVD player built in (budget of about £500) and ideally want one with optical in (to feed the sky signal into).

If possible i'd want it to have DVD Recording abilities as well? Possible?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pug said:
If possible i'd want it to have DVD Recording abilities as well? Possible?

Yes, definitely possible for that money, though be aware that you get what you pay for. Spend more, get more.
As for kit, unfortunately I don't know much about the kit you're asking, I'm sure someone else can help.

Soldato
You could get a seperates system ie a Surround sound speaker set and a proper AV Amp for around £500 that may be better than the combined system with regard to outputs/inputs/functionality/quality. Though you'd need to buy the DVD player seperately(there not really that expensive).

Suspended
£500 will get you a reasonbly good stereo system with DVD player

£100 DVD player
£200 stereo integrated amp
£200 speakers

That way you have seperates and a good 2channel system to base your system on. Add the av amp, centre, surrounds and subwoofer later.

You won't get a very good DVD/amp/5.1 speaker system for £500. Hell even a good subwoofer costs £500+

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
i think peoples definition of good varies :)

This is for my dad, who watches Eastenders, coronation street and lots of sport.

He also watches movies through Sky + - and hence i'd want to get him 5.1 through that (which i assume can only be done with optical out?)

£500 for a combo package will be well enough for his needs :)

The other problem is space. I convinced to get the 42" plasma, and as a result has a small cubby hole for his Sk box and another box. Hence my requirements for a recordable DVD player, 5.1 with optical in... (if i cant get recordable, non recordable would do)

Soldato
I'd look for a 2 box solution, even if your not going for a full blown separates setup. If your DVD player is integrated into the processor, and the mechanical transport wears out, or the laser fails (lasers get dimmer the more you use it and eventually fail... although they can last many years) then you've gotta replace the entire thing. With a kit which doesnt include the DVD player, then if something goes wrong, or even if you decided to upgrade to HDDVD/BluRay later the sound system is still usefull.

To be honest, its better to make space on a shelf somewhere for the kit, rather than comprimise a combined dvd/processor combination. But the choices is yours at the end of the day.

Permabanned
buy a good amp and slowly buy the speakers, a good amp will last you hell of a long time 10+. i would buy a thx select amp 1st, as some oen said seperates is always the best. something like Pioneer VSX1016 for £350 leaves you with £150 for speakers.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
well, popped into richer sounds, got him a AV Amp (Samsung) DVD/HDD recorder (Samsung) which poth look and sounf the part, with some cheapish (but still pretty impressive sounding) Yamaha Speakers, 2xdigital audio cables all for £500 - pretty decent deal i reckon'.

Plumbed it all up and it sounds great, he's well happy just a little overwhelmed with it all at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom