Advice - Firewalls and Port Forwarding

Soldato
Hello
I flashed my TP-Link Router good couple years ago and don't have any issues apart from Firewall and ports.

First let me say how I have it setup
I have my SkyHub that I want to act like a Modem only but it wont? I have it disabled Wifi and that router is connected to my DD-wrt router that I use for all my connected devices.

I have a game call of duty that I have always had issues opening the games ports it turns out I been doing it wrong! lol I been putting the ports into the DD-wrt firewall thinking that router is controlling all my network I could never get my ports to open and have always put it down to either myself not doing it right or an issue with my dd-wrt router.

Today I found out that if I put the ports into the other router Skyhub the ports now Open?

Hope I making sense here! So my question is how do I stop the skyhub from controlling my network and let my dd-wrt do all the security/firewall?

Thanks

Man of Honour
You need to do more than just disable WiFi on a device to make it the router, what's happening with your network at the moment is that your TP-LINK is simply acting as a wireless access point.

To do what you want to do, you need to do something in the settings of the device you wish to be the "modem", and this is different depending on the device. On the device you wish to make your router, you need to enter your connection details, enable NAT, DHCP, and WiFi if you want. I have no idea where these will be in your settings but this should get you started down the path.

Soldato
As the Sky router doesn't have a modem mode the nearest you’ll get is opening up the Sky router completely. Does it have a DMZ option?

If you replace the Sky router you’d have more options, but that adds other complications.

Associate
For security in your Sky router firewall section just set up rules to allow all inbound and outbound connections but make sure DD-wrt routers firewall is enabled and configured properly.
For DHCP giving out ip numbers you can disable dhcp server in Sky router and enable dhcp in dd-wrt ...

Soldato
OP
You need to do more than just disable WiFi on a device to make it the router. You need to do something in the settings of the device you wish to be the "modem", this is different depending on the device. On the device you wish to make your router, you need to enter your connection details, and enable DHCP.

:( seems I out of luck then, Skyhub can not be set for Modem only mode from my understanding. On the SkyHub I also disabled DHCP and Wifi and also made the IP address a static one. Then on the dd-wrt router I entered the default IP 192.168.0.2, I can access both routers and have full speeds. The only issue is the firewall on the DD-wrt seems to do nothing lol

Also am i right here
if I had the dd-wrt setup correct and when I google whats my ip it shouldn't show my actual ISP IP? instead it would show my local IP 192.168.0.2??

Sorry am not very network savvy. :D

Soldato
OP
As the Sky router doesn't have a modem mode the nearest you’ll get is opening up the Sky router completely. Does it have a DMZ option?

If you replace the Sky router you’d have more options, but that adds other complications.

Yeah it has DMZ but when I put in the IP address for my HUB 192.168.0.2 Call of Duty still remained Moderate NAT
Only putting in the Port 3074 into the Hub firewall fixed this.

Guess I should just disable dd-wrt firewall seems to be doing nothing anyway?

Back
Top Bottom