Advice for cooking a rib roast

Soldato
Just picked a reduced one up Should have been £24 cost me £4

Thought i'd have it for dinner tomorrow but then thought i've never cooked it in my life, i like my meat medium rare so any suggestions what i can do with it. Oh and it's only 2 ribs but loads or meat on there

Have an abundance of herbs laying around and also some Jack Daniels sticky BBQ sauce ???

Soldato
1. Leave out of the fridge for at least 2 hours so it gets to room temp.
2. Preheat oven to gas mark 4, not sure on electric oven temps.
3. Wrap in foil.
4. Place on baking tray.
5. Shove in oven.
6. Leave for 2/2.5 hours (I am presuming its in the weight region of 2kgs?).
7. Take out and leave to rest for 30 mins still covered in foil.
8. Spoon all the liquid into a pan and add some stock cubes or granules and bring to a boil then simmer till thick, stirring all the time.
9. Watch as it falls apart once you get a non serrated carving knife out of the drawer.
10. Pour thick gravy on it and nomnomnom:)

Soldato
OP
1. Leave out of the fridge for at least 2 hours so it gets to room temp.
2. Preheat oven to gas mark 4, not sure on electric oven temps.
3. Wrap in foil.
4. Place on baking tray.
5. Shove in oven.
6. Leave for 2/2.5 hours (I am presuming its in the weight region of 2kgs?).
7. Take out and leave to rest for 30 mins still covered in foil.
8. Spoon all the liquid into a pan and add some stock cubes or granules and bring to a boil then simmer till thick, stirring all the time.
9. Watch as it falls apart once you get a non serrated carving knife out of the drawer.
10. Pour thick gravy on it and nomnomnom:)

Cheers mate yeah it's almost 2kg, will that cooking method leave it medium?

Associate
If you cook it that long it will be very well done and ruined in my opinion. You want to sear the beef in a pan and then roast for about 1-1.5 hours if you like it medium even less if you like it medium rare. I really wouldn't eat rib of beef well done, its a waste.

Ferret

Last edited:
Soldato
It will be medium due to being on a low temp. I have done it like this for years and its never turned out well done. Best thing to do is cook it for 1.5 hours and then check if your not sure.

The thickness of the rib makes a big difference. If its long and thin reduce the cooking time if its short and thick then 2 hours should be ideal.

Soldato
Personally i'd sear it in a pan first, then bung it in an oven at 220C for 30 mins, then turn the oven down to 160C and cook for 15mins per 450G for medium rare.

Yummy!

Post pics of how yours turns our regardless! :p

Actually scrap that - I'm too late!

Soldato
OP
Hey, went with ferret faces times and method and TBH was one of the best pieces of meat i've ever tasted. Sex wee worthy at £4 LOL, don't think i could afford it full price too often which is a shame, and the juice made a lovely gravy :)

Thanks for the tips guys :)

Back
Top Bottom