advice for pure gaming pc

Associate
which would give better frame rate and smooth gaming ? on a very tight budget so trying to find best way to go..... the pc will only be used for gaming no video work or streming

ryzen 1600 with 16 gb 3200 and a gtx1060 3 gb

or
ryzen 1200 with same ddr and a gtx1060 6 gb

it can be any ryzen 5 or 3 cpu so what would u say is best from whats out there?

also can be any GPU upto say £250 not bothered about brand or red or green team
games played are all the well known ones

a 1070 or a 1080 isnt an option not even a used one
seems that the 1200 is great for getting upto 4 GHZ and is cheap at the moment

would be on a b350 board so can overclock

Associate
Was also wondering how does Ryzen 3 stand in gaming? I mean Ryzen 1600 does very well from personal experience but friend of mine looking to build a budget system with similar specs to what you mentioned so I would be interested also.

Soldato
thought about ryzen 1400 to be the in between, 4 cores 8 threads ?
will add a little more lifespan as games improve multicore usage

know your on a budget .

others will also back this up, regardless what Ryzen core you get, try to get the fastest ram you can get and check to see its support - 3000hz is the sweet spot with 3200 being great, avoid 2133hz if you see it being half the price lol

Associate
OP
all options are welcome im buying everything for the pc in the next few weeks
forgot to mention which may change things in about a year i would be able to upgrade the GPU to a 1080 or 1080ti if i wanted too
but the lower end ryzen would bottleneck that so do i buy now the best CPU that would be fine with a more high end graphics card

or buy what is good now and in a year change the GPU and CPU together i will be keeping the motherboard and ddr wont change that whatever as the ddr will be 3200 and happy with the AM4 board

Soldato
Could you actually tell us your whole budget, and what parts you already have (if any), or any parts you may be re-using as it will greatly help to identify the best/most optimal components for a gaming only build. :)

Associate
OP
i have this motherboard
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69v-as.html

also a 600w aerocool integrator powerpack which is brand new ( overclockers dont sell it)
this is the ddr i have picked (but not bought as yet) but open to others

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69v-as.html

i have no used parts so still need CPU GPU SSD DDR4 i have the case already

budget for whats left to get about £550 max but i need to do this for two machines so less would be better lol (£550 per rig)
(i have the case powerpack and motherboard already for both rigs)
its either go lower end AMD chip and best gpu i can get (6gb) or better cpu and a (3gb) gpu

Soldato
That is such an awkward budget, because you are going to end up with some form of compromise. However, I think what you need to look at is which component will you need to replace first if you go budget, and what the costs will be and the impact on performance.

The biggest single cost will be the graphics card, and can only be replaced as a single piece. If you look at the cost of the GTX 1060 6GB, the cheapest models are around £250-260, but the 3GB starts at £179, and there are at least 4 models at that entry point, so a £70 saving, or if you look at it in percentages the 6GB is 39% more expensive.

If you opt to go for something like a Ryzen 3 1200, then you have to ask how soon this will need replacing, yes it is only £98.99, so it's not a huge sum of money, but I think the difference a higher core/thread count CPU will make a much bigger difference over the slightly faster 6GB GTX 1060. I don't think either choice will give you amazing value from the offset, but you can guarantee as time marches forward the higher core count CPU will be better utilised, while the GPU no matter which you chose will always get (generally) slower with newer games.

To sum up, the GTX 1060 3GB at £179 offers a good balance, as we know the 6GB isn't 40% better. We also know that games are going to be come more multithreaded, and the R3 1200 will be a bottle neck for those, where as an R5 1600 at £188.99 will not be. No it is not worth the extra 89% cost increase now, but you can guarantee it will be easier to sell second hand when you come to change it since will still be relevant, where at the 4c/4t part will end up being seen as super budget, and if will keep pace with newer more demanding games where thread are concerned.

I know that doesn't really give you a definitive answer, but I think you are between a rock and a hard place. :)

EDIT: Or since AM4 is going to be around a while, hope that the prices of the higher core count CPU's drop over the next 12-18 months, and pick up a second hand chip possibly even an R5 1600 for about £100, or a Ryzen 2 CPU... it's just such a hard choice!

Last edited:
Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £507.96
(includes shipping: £0.00)

went in between with the CPU Ryzen 1400 , 4 cores 8 threads , compared to the 1200's 4/4 and 1600's 6/12.

Dropped to 1050Ti purely for the fact of Adding a 480GB SSD as you wanted one- but no idea what you want the SSD for, solely for OS or for games or for both which you'd need a higher count for. If just OS

Total: £547.96
(includes shipping: £0.00)

You've got an M.2 NVMe - which also happens to be the cheapest 128GB SSD currently listed
youve got a 6GB 1060 as well as 4 core 8 thread Ryzen chip ! Yes the 1600 has the slight upper hand on no difference between it and the 1700 - but run it at 3.8/9 Ghz and should be good

also pricing on here, 3200 ram is same price as 3000 kit, most of out of stock or pre-order that are cheaper on the 3000hz :(

*its pains me not to quote a Gigabyte or Asus card with 3 year warranty but your on a tight budget**

Associate
OP
many thanks for you input guys
yes i think your right the budget is tight maybe able to stetch to a little more and maybe prices will drop a little soon who knows

as for the ssd want the OS on there and games but could get a small size for now just to get up and running

is it worth the extra having a M.2 or just standard sata one?

as for the CPU would like the 1600 as i think it would be better for the future like you said and if get the 3gb gtx1060 the £70 saving from the 6gb can go towards the £90 differance from the 1200 to the 1600
i just think that the 3gb might be also a problem as some of the games wanting to play recomend a 4GB card (planet coaster) also dont want to go to a 1050ti as from some of the benchmarks the FPS is much lower on lots of games than the 1060

so seems that the 1060 is my only choice maybe im wrong

also why do you see such differance in price from the 1060 6gb £239 to £329

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-012-nv.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-40a-as.html

the asus one yes has RGB and yes its looks great buy £90 more cant be just for the RGB ?

would you see any differance if you had the asus one rather than a cheaper one?

as for the cpu dont really want to go for the 1400 as yes its in the middle for price i just think might as well add the differace and get the 1600

the 1200 is good value and sems to overclock well but like you have said will struggle at some point

question is would i really see any differace with the GPU from 3 gb to 6 in general gaming

here is something would i get better with say having 2 of these on crossfire in the motherboard rather than a 1060? its the same price as 1 6gb 1060

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...pci-express-graphics-card-bulk-gx-384-sp.html

Soldato
can someone answer my last post please....many thanks

Firstly, don't waste your time with crossfiring poor cards, it isn't worth it for a lot of titles, as it will not work as expected.

IMO, get the R5 1600, and the 3GB GTX 1060. The price range of cards is due to three factors, out of box clocks (waste of time) - brand/warranty - cooling solution. If you you are a sucker from brands and RGB, then sure they are great, if you think you need a 5 year warranty on a £180 card then again, fine, but after 2 years if it goes faulty it would probably cost you £70 to replace, so personally a waste of time.

M.2 and 2.5" drives both come with SATA bus, the M.2 drives are a neater solution, but 2.5" are just fine if cheaper. If you are going for M.2 using NVMe interface, then you will get a slight performance bump when loading games, but it makes zero difference when playing, so pointless if it will set you back a lot more than the SATA one.

If you think you need the 6GB card for the single game you play that *might* need it, then sure go for it, but you'll end up over budget, unless you drop to the lower end CPU. :)

Associate
OP
cheers Journey
crossfire was just an idea never done it and dont know enough about this stuff to be honest...i think u can tell LOL
im a big fan of ASUS stuff but can be a tad expensive lol
a lot of the games that will be played recomended 4gb GPU so i feel that the 3gb 1060 might not be good enough
i am looking to get the R5 1600 as i think it will be a better buy for future use

Soldato
It might be worth calling OCUK and asking them if they have any stock of the AMD RX580 8GB cards to go with your other parts, I know they were offering a special lower price with a code a while back. I'll try and find the link but a phone call from you will more than likely be quicker. :)

Soldato
isnt the 6gb 1060 a better card than the rx580?

Determining what you mean by "better" before answering is probably a good idea but, if you are talking performance in games then they are 50/50 depending on which title you are playing. So in one game the GTX 1060 maybe be 10% faster, however in another it could be 10% slower, on average they work out about the same. If you are talking power consumption then then GTX 1060 is considerably lower, so costs less to run, and they are easier to get a hold of due to the mining boom.

Associate
OP
i feel that the ideal rig would be a 1060 6gb with the 1600 but thats going to take me over budget which is £550 but maybe could go a bit more
with the 120 gb ssd and 16gb ddr 3000 total price £617 or £548 if go with the 3gb card and make do

also if i chose the 1200 with a 1070 its £668

Soldato
seen some new ddr4 todat that i really like not 3200 though only 2666 and they dont do higher as yet
Agreed 3200MHz is an expensive investment - and the 2%-3% increase is not worth the premium at present if money is short.

But most 3000 kits hit 3000MHz (2933MHz) usually with ease with the latest BIOS. It's not guaranteed but you're considered unlucky if you don't hit 2933MHz using the XMP. Plus, prices are very similar to 2666 - if you have opportunity to swap (or not even bought yet).

Either of these sets have a proven track record of hitting 2933MHz on boards when updated to latest BIOS:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom