Advice from tattoo people.

Associate
Hi,

Ok so I'm interested in getting one, obviously. But I need some help/advice from people who know what they are talking about when it comes to getting a tattoo, where to get them done (best parlours etc) and what to look out for (in regards to health and safety, dodgey tattoists etc).

I'm currently living in Middlesbrough, so if anyone knows of any decent parlours in that area, please let me know. Also any in the Darlington area would fine as well.

The tattoo I'm thinking of getting is a logo. I plan to provide reference to the tattoist. It will be black, no other colours involved. Also it should be fairly small. I plan to get it on one of my shoulders.

Finally, how much (if you had to guess, or draw from experience) would something like that cost? I know all parlous will have different rates, but a rough estimate wouldn't go amiss.

Cheers ;)

Soldato
I'm not a tattoo person, but i'd advise that you make damn sure you want one, and that the one you want won't become undesirable in the long term, preferably for the rest of your life.

/obvious

Associate
OP
^Yes I know that I want this one. It's nothing stupid like a name or place that could become undesirable in the years to come. The logo in question is from a fictional "universe". From a series I am heavily into and doubt will ever become undesirable to me. Besides, it contains no words so to most people it will appear to have little meaning. To me and those that I choose to tell/ already know, it obviously will mean something.

Soldato
I have 5 tattoos and i regret getting two of them. Not going to get any more either. With regards to parlours etc i have no idea, my friend did them all in his kitchen (he is a pro not some amatuer btw) but it depends on the size and levels of detail as to the cost. Expect around £70-90 for something the size of your fist with average detail. Also make sure your design doesnt have lines that are close together, as over time these will blend and leave you with an unrecognizable blob.

Commissario
There's a problem with that and it's a straightforward one.

No matter what the actual background of it, no matter that the design is very different, there are many stupid ignorant people about who will assume that it's a Nazi Eagle. I speak from experience!

The original tattoo design I was looking at was this
eagle-20090716-173627.png

To make sure I was happy with it, I had it as my computer wallpaper, the wallpaper on my iPhone, it was printed out and stuck on the wall by my desk, I had it on the fridge door! It was everywhere.

The number of allegedly intelligent people who accused me of having a Nazi logo splashed around was incredible. People who should know better, and they were serious.

I'd really suggest that you think again. You may compare your design to the actual Nazi Eagle and know for sure that it's very different but sadly the Eagle design, especially in silhouette with the wings outstretched has very bad implications whether intentional or not.

Don't do it!

Soldato
Warhammer 40k...

Lad I knew at uni had a blood angles logo on his arm, he didnt even play anymore by his final year.

Im not a tat person, its a nice design but......................

Associate
OP
There's a problem with that and it's a straightforward one.

No matter what the actual background of it, no matter that the design is very different, there are many stupid ignorant people about who will assume that it's a Nazi Eagle. I speak from experience!

The original tattoo design I was looking at was this
eagle-20090716-173627.png

To make sure I was happy with it, I had it as my computer wallpaper, the wallpaper on my iPhone, it was printed out and stuck on the wall by my desk, I had it on the fridge door! It was everywhere.

The number of allegedly intelligent people who accused me of having a Nazi logo splashed around was incredible. People who should know better, and they were serious.

I'd really suggest that you think again. You may compare your design to the actual Nazi Eagle and know for sure that it's very different but sadly the Eagle design, especially in silhouette with the wings outstretched has very bad implications whether intentional or not.

Don't do it!

I couldn't care less if ignorant people think it's Nazi related. The Nazi eagle isn't even an original logo created by the Nazis. The Romans came up with it first. I'm not letting some long dead regime interfere with my decision.

I am set on this desing I think. I don't want no overdone tribal stuff, deathskulls or flames.

If anyone can offer some advice to the other queries I had in my OP it would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice so far peeps ;)

Last edited:
Commissario
Suit yourself, you asked for advice and I offered it based on my experience of a similar design. If you don't have a problem with people thinking you're a Nazi then it's up to you *shrug*

Permabanned
I couldn't care less if ignorant people think it's Nazi related. The Nazi eagle isn't even an original logo created by the Nazis. The Romans came up with it first. I'm not letting some long dead regime interfere with my decision.

Ah, but then you'd have the pedants asking how you can have Roman Eagle design when the Roman Empire murdered more people per capita that the Nazis ever did. ;) :p

I have two tattoos which were done about 22 years ago. Both are now quite faded and are in areas where they are not visible while wearing "normal" clothing, ie upper arms. It's not that I regret having them, they just seem rather silly and pointless to me. It was like being burned with a ciggerette having the outlines done, not very pleasant but bearable. They go all scabby for a while then look "normal". I would not bother again with hindsight. Trouble is, fashion comes and goes. Before you know it, your tattoos will look old hat but will be there for ever. At least until you have them removed or die.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always associate the eagle silhouette with America for some reason. I don't think our generation is as concerned with that whole Germany 'thing' as the last one is (they have good reason though obviously), people have moved on, I think it's 'safe' to get something like that now if you ask me.

Associate
OP
I do want one though. Who's to say what will happen with tattoo removal technology in the years to come. With the cosmetic market (implants, lipo, facejobs etc) the way it is currently, i.e - booming, it's bound to get better, more common and thus cheaper and have more impressive and viable soloutions.

I belive the safety net is quite tight tbh.

Anyway we're deviating!

Permabanned
I always associate the eagle silhouette with America for some reason. I don't think our generation is as concerned with that whole Germany 'thing' as the last one is (they have good reason though obviously), people have moved on, I think it's 'safe' to get something like that now if you ask me.

You reckon? So by your thinking then, it's perfectly fine and safe for somebody to get a Swastika tattoo because after all it wasn't a Nazi design. They stole it from various ancient Eastern religions.

Back
Top Bottom