Advice Needed - i7700k Temps

Associate
Over the last few weeks I've noticed the temps on my overclocked i7700k are higher than they had been previously.

The system is a couple of years old now so I'm hoping it's just something simple like the thermal paste needs replacing or the radiator/fans of the CPU cooler need a good clean.

When it comes to PC's I have a very basic understanding so wanted to get a bit of advice just in case it isn't something simple.

First off, the PC is only used for gaming, am I getting any real benefit from having the CPU overclocked? If not will I see any noticeable temp reduction by disabling it?

If I do disable the overclocking in the BIOS, but then want to turn it back on again in the future, is it just a simple case of enabling it again?

If it turns out that I need to look at buying a new CPU cooler, can anyone recommend something that will fit in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass Mid Tower case? I've been looking at the NZXT Kraken X72 to give an idea of available budget, cooling is my primary concern though so it doesn't have to have fancy RGB lighting, it just needs to keep the CPU as cool as possible.

Soldato
When was last time vent grill filters were cleaned? On my systems I have filters on all intakes and find they need to be cleaned every couple of weeks.
If I remember correctly Evolv TG has 3x good 140mm fans.

What CPU cooler are you using now? Most any decent tower with 120mm or 140mm fan will cool well. Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure is quite good and low cost.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi doyll, thanks for replying.

I clean the intake filter on a regular basis. There isn't much dust built-up internal of the case but I'll give it a good clean when I replace the thermal paste.

The system was pre-built and came with an Asetek 240mm 570LX AIO cooler, which has been fine up until recently.

Typically I only get to game for 2-3 hours at a time so it's not getting hammered.

Soldato
With filters clean my guess is possible TIM degredation or more possible CLC cooler degredation being the cause of higher temps. CLC typically last 2-3 years before starting to loose performance. The harder they are used the shorter their life. A good air cooler lasts almost forever with only it's fan(s) that can go bad and that's usually after 4-5 years or longer.

Not sure what cooler to suggest as replacement, but I don't like CLCs so it would definitely be an air cooler. Evolv has 3x good 140mm fans so you should have good case airflow for a good air cooler .. something like TRUE Spirit 140 Power would be ideal if you can find one. With Evolv case you can fit tallest air cooler made, but RAM height and CPU socket to GPU clearance might limit what coolers will fit. Most any cooler using 140mm fan/s will cool well and quietly. Here's like to cooler sizes. Figure out which ones you like and I'll try and give you more info about them.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319255-post6.html

Soldato
Would have to be pretty crappy TIM for it to degrade in couple years.
And any wider spread that short life TIM should cause problems commonly for really many people.
So more likely problem with AIO.
Like water molecules permeating through tubing starting to cause coolant shortage, pump slowing down or then some kind oxidizing reaction crud etc.
Because of lot more complex design and operation than heatpipe coolers, good more durable quality would cost lot more.
And pre-built systems certainly don't go to lengths in paying for high quality parts.

Scythe Mugen 5 is likely the best cooler with full DIMM and PCI-e slot clearance.
It's only step behind the best, lot bigger heatpipe coolers, in performance.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html
I think it's been in order for OcUK's for some time, so might be now coming soon to stock.

Soldato
What Sweetloaf said. If room temp is several degrees warmer it is not at all uncommon to see CPU running similar number of degrees hotter.

Associate
OP
I have taken room temperature in to consideration, although it is always worth checking the simple things with me!

I've not had much time this week but have managed to do a little testing over the last couple of evenings.

Room temperature is typically 21-22°C and idle temps are around 30-35, whilst gaming the temps rise to the mid to high 70's sporadically and then drop down to high 30's low 40's - I've seen one core go as high as 83, but the CPU isn’t permanently running at the high end so I think the cooling is working adequately.

I think I might have worked out what the issue is, if not the fix, if I leave the PC idle after closing the game my Bullguard antivirus starts running a task that ramps up the CPU temperature up in to the 80's where they stay until I end the task.

I’m going to check this again later today and assuming the same happens it looks like something for the Bullguard forums.

Thanks for all the feedback, as always it’s very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom