• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice needed on new gfx card

Associate
I am looking at the R9 270x cards and saw the nice ones ocuk sell.
As my account is 12 years old I can get free delivery YEY!!!!!

I have also seen the 4GB cards. So a couple of questions.

Based on the stuff sold by ocuk is the R9 270x a good deal or would the nVidia cards be better at the mo. Thinking £150 ish mark.

I am also looking at the toxic card
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-325-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1982

Also are the 4GB cars that much better.

==
You know it's sad. I work for a UK major IT reseller and even at cost price (personal purchase) it is cheaper for me to but from ocuk. Just goes to show how good ocuk prices are.

Associate
OP
3 years old system.
it is either a q8400 or an i3-2nnn

There was a time I could have told you my bios settings, memory timings and voltages for all my systems from memory

looks like I may need a new system.

that may be wrong. I have so many PC's I have lost track of whats in each one

Soldato
ah ha :)

have i5 3rd gen and 32gb ram Kingston HyperX 1600

Have cleared purchase with she who must not be made unhappy by expensive computer purchases :)

So have gone for the R9 270x 4gb
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9270XDC2T4GD5/

So thats
Engine Clock 1120 MHz
Memory Clock 5600 MHz ( 1400 MHz GDDR5 )

I wonder if I can persuede my wife that I need two of these
If you gonna drop £300 on graphic, you'd better off getting a 290 as not only it would offer most consistence performance, but also that I think most of those games you mention wouldn't support or scale with crossfire too well.

So single more powerful GPU card better.

Soldato
good point. My wife won't let me buy a second one and you are right. Most of those games wotn even use more than one CPU core.
Also if your CPU is a 3rd Gen IvyBridge i5 non-K version (cannot be overclocked), for games they uses less than two CPU cores would most probably bottleneck anyway, so might as well just go for a single 270x and be done with it, as the 290 won't be any faster at the scenes when you need frame rate not dipping the most (the dips would be caused by CPU limitation, so both the 270x and 290 would probably drop to the same low minimum frame rate at those scenes).

Back
Top Bottom