• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice needed on new Graphics Card

Associate
So I'm currently rocking a HD5850 which has held out surprisingly well, but it's time for an upgrade.

Main uses right now are Planetside 2 and connecting my home theatre AV receiver to the card. I want nVidia for the Physx in PS2. Looking to spend £200 to £250

My current thinking is to go for a GTX 760. I believe that a GTX 670 is better value(?), but the 760 is newer silicon and I may SLI another one in the future.

Can anyone tell me if the Asus DirectCU II versions of cards are worthwhile, I like the look of them, but want to know if they are noisy or if there are any other issues?

Associate
OP
Are there any features of note on the 700 series that aren't on the 600 series except GPU boost 2.0? I'm not hugely fussed about overclocking.

Soldato
Are there any features of note on the 700 series that aren't on the 600 series except GPU boost 2.0? I'm not hugely fussed about overclocking.
GTX780 is the only card that use a different architecture GPU with GK110...770 and below are all still the same GK104 based chip.

If you must go for a Nvidia card right now, there's nothing beating the value/bang for bucks of that MSI GTX670 Power Edition at £199.99.

Associate
OP
How annoying, the MSI GTX 670 just went up by £15, ah well. I'm definitely leaning more toward the 670 now.

If I was to wait another month would anything drastically change on the graphics card scene? Are there any impending releases?

EDIT:
Thinking about it, I'm tempted by the 680 deal on a "why not!" basis. However, I notice it requires 2x 8 pin power connections. My PSU is a Corsair 750W TX which their website says has 4x PCI-E connectors. How many pins do these have, or do I just need adapters if I don't have the right thing.... or would I need a new PSU?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom