Advice needed - replace 2405FPW with LCD TV

Soldato
I currently am using a Dell 2405FPW for Xbox360 gaming (via component cable at 1080i) and am also using this panel with a SFF PC, which I run XP Pro at the native 1920x1020 and do some occasional pc gaming. I am thinking about getting a 32" LCD TV as a replacement for the Dell. Basically a bigger screen for gaming on my 360 would be the primary reason, and secondly it would act as my main viewing source for TV/DVD's in the bedroom instead of the 32" widescreen 100hz Sony monstrosity I have at the moment.

I have a few concerns though :

I am used to browsing at 1920x1200 and playiing the odd pc game at a reasonably high res (1280 or 1600) using an X1600XT. The LCD TV res is 1366x768, so not even close, so there would be some serious stretching when gaming, and I am not even sure if ATI drivers support a 1366x768 desktop res. to begin with. And then there is the question if XP will be very usable at such a low res ? Will this res. look pants ?

Secondly I have read that 32" LCD TV's don't really have very good interpolation and as a result normal tv broadcasts which are just SD look terrible on them. There is also the question of whether these LCD TV's have any sort of scaling options like the 2405FPW. On the other hand I have read that 27" LCD's offer a better picture all round compared to the 32" models.

Finally my last concern is Xbox 360 gaming and lack of 1080i/p support. I realise most games are rendered internally at 720p (* some lower like PGR3 *), and rescaled by the 360 to suit your monitor. However with the LCD TV, there will still be some scaling as it's native res. is 1366x768 and 720p is 1280x720. My Dell monitor on the other hand has a native res. of 1920x1200, and with my Xbox 360 set to 1080i (1920x1080), and either aspect or 1:1 selected in the OSD, the aspect ratio is perfect and there is minimum borders. Plus I believe some games like COD2 (and hopefully future games) are rendered at 1080i anyway, and they look superb on my monitor. Personally I cannot tell the difference yet between progressive and interlaced on the current games, but it's nice to be able to run at 1920x1080 and keep everything looking right. And then there is the PS3 which will have 1080p support which again the Dell will support.

Btw, I know there is a lot of talk out there about the 2405FPW being able to support HD which Dell say it does not. In particular I have read on forums wherepeople say it is limited to 480p output which is then upscaled. I haven't seen proof of this and side by side comparisons at 720p between the Dell and a friends LCD TV show the quality is up to standard too, at least in my opinion.

So should I keep what I have ? Or get the 32" LCD TV ? Need to decide in the next day or two, as I can sell my 2405FPW and Sony for a pretty good price this week, which will cover the cost of an LCD TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there,

I've recently gone from a 2405FPW to a 32" LCD TV - my thread can be viewed here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17536014

For Windows it sure is a big difference, but you DO get used to it. I can't say I've tried normal TV (the arial I have is terrible quality) and I don't have a 360 yet (and when I do, it'll go through the projector and not the LCD TV) so I can't really comment on that.

I use mine at a resolution of 1360x768 (X800 Pro) and I must say the quality/performance is astonishing. No more horrible not-in-native-res. picture to get a smooth frame-rate.

Have a read through my thread and see if it helps, if it doesn't, feel free to ask a few questions.

I'm thoroughly happy with mine and although I miss the high resolution for Windows/web design, for gaming (which I do a lot of), it really is absolutely ideal.

Thanks,

-RaZ

Soldato
I got my 32" LCD for £700, although that was rather cheap. I think they tend to go for £800 - £900. However, that's the price of the 2405's now-a-days too; there's the odd competitor seeling 'em for circa £650, but once that stock's gone, that's it.

-RaZ

Soldato
OP
Thanks a million mate for the info. Very helpful. Indeed at 1360x768 an X1600XT should be fine for the odd game. I'm only running a 3000+ Venice 754 (at 2.7ghz though :) The 2405 at 1920 just can't cope. My biggest worry was whether I could run at at 1366, as 1024 would suck. But at 1360, even windows would be fine for me. Must check out the local shops the weekend to see if there are any 32" models available which offer DVI input for the PC. Also, am I right in assuming if the panel is branded HD ready, it should have a HDMI connection with support for HDCP. Last thing I want is a panel that I can't use for HD video when it emerges.

The only real thing outstanding now, is whether they will start bringing out 360 games rendered internally at 1080i, as most LCD TV panels are limited to slightly more then 720p.

Soldato
I think 720p will look great on the TV anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

I can't give you an answer on the HDMI and HDCP side of things; I'm not really too clued up on that.

Make sure you check for the price of 32" TV's online before you go to the shops - you could be looking to pay £100 more than you bargained for. Find out the prices of all the TV's online, then you may be able to barter with them and say, "I can get it here for £100 cheaper - what can you do?"

It's all worth a try :)

Pleasure to be of service by the way!

-RaZ

Soldato
OP
Was checking out a few TV shops tonight, and I came accross an LG 32" LCD-TV RZ-32LZ55, 1000:1, 1366x768, 8ms, HD-ready. It was down to something like 900 euro. The store manager said it was an older model, and the newer version they had certainly looked more stylish but was an 800:1 job. Anyway, this TV also has DVI input which is great. And the chap that bought my PC has offered me 750 euro for my 2405FPW. So should I go for it ? Oh...and what kind of DVI able do I buy - what is the type that came with the 2405FPW ? For an extra 200 euro they are also offering a HD DVD player. I thought this HD DVD lark was delayed again ?

Permabanned
It doesn't have HDMI, so if you plan to use hi-def DVD player or other hi-def source (with encryption) don't get this.

I'm thinking about replacing my 28" CRT 16:9 TV with a LCD TV for DVD's but also for PC gaming. Cheaper than buying that + 20" PC monitor.

ps also want HDCP over HDMI

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well spotted. Isn't the HD ready logo only supposed to be used on HDMI enabled sets. I could have sworn I saw a hdmi connector on it though in the shop. Anyway, for a little over a 1000 euro I can get this model. LG 32" LCD-TV 32LX2R, 1200:1, 1366x768, PIP, 8ms, HD-ready. It does have hdmi, and and a slightly higher contrast ratio. Must check in shop though as I think they had the wrong specs displayed.

Won't HDCP easily be sorted with a breakout box anyway that rips away the protection ? Who knows if current LCD TV's support it. The HD logo is supposed to mean HDMI, HDCP, 720p and a bunch of other stuff. But that doesn't seem to mean anything.

Permabanned
Noticed that model myself seems ok but would prefer no speakers, quite bulbous with the side speakers. Not going to use them anyway. Seen it for £850. I wouldn't like to say about a separate de-encryption device. Obviously illegal and have concerned with cost/audio delay.

Soldato
OP
Doing well so....1000 euro is about 684 sterling !

It has DVI / HDCP support. So for Vista as long as I get a video card that has HDCP output support I am sorted. However isn't HDMI / HDCP support more desireable ?

Permabanned
yikes cheap in your country.
But yes would need HDMI with HDCP. Unless HDCP is part of HDMI. gah brain exploding.

I'm sure they're releasing these products that won't fuction properly on purpose.

Why can't they just stick with HDMI and leave it at that???

Soldato
OP
Talking to some people on AVSForum and the LG monitor supports HDCP via DVI and HDMI....so great new there.

Also regarding using component or vga for the 360, while it made sense to use component (1080i) on the Dell as it was close to its native res, on the LG it makes sense to use the VGA cable (1300x768) which is very close to the LG's native res of 1366x768.

<edit> Doh..the LG doesnt have a dsub, just dvi, so component it is for the 360 </edit>

Back
Top Bottom