Advice needed

Associate
I've found myself in a tricky position. I currently own a 2002 Fiat Stilo with 87k on the clock. As of recently it's developed an ecu fault, at least the guys on the fiat forum think its an ecu fault. It's becoming quite a common issue on there. It will literally cut out randomly whilst moving. It'll turn back over straight away, but it's done it to me twice on the motorway which is no laughing matter. Replacement ecu is around 300-350 according to the guys on the forum, which is no small amount of money but not too bad if it makes the car useable again.

Now the tricky part is that I've been suffering on and off for some time with hip pain. It never occurred to me that the car, or rather driving position could cause it, but now I honestly think it's a big contributor.

So I'm stuck in the spot of whether its worth spending £300+ on a car I want to change and is actually causing me pain to drive. I know the Stilos have next to no second hand value, so I'm just not sure it's worth it.

The other issue is what car to change to. Like I see often on here, I've always loved the look of the E46 coupe. I'm however concerned that replacing an unreliable car with one that's 10 years old may not be the smart move.

I'm happy spending anywhere between 4-7k, something comfortable. Doesn't need to be hot, but maybe just warm performance wise. I'm a single guy, so u dont NEED a big car, but I'm not really a fan of small cars. I only do around 6k miles a year, shortish commute and social use. I'm 26, but post code lets me down insurance wise.

Thanks for any advice/opinions on the stilo question and the replacement question guys.

Soldato
Maybe its just the cars ive worked on but ive never come across anyone who needed a replacement ecu or just had an ecu that "developed" a fault.

those symptoms sound like a failing crank position sensor

can you have the dtcs read?

Associate
OP
Maybe its just the cars ive worked on but ive never come across anyone who needed a replacement ecu or just had an ecu that "developed" a fault.

those symptoms sound like a failing crank position sensor

can you have the dtcs read?

Here's the thread on the fiat forum that may give you more info than I can explain

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/301799-1-6-cutting-out-asr-failure-etc-etc.html

It comes up often as an ASR loose connection. Or I've just had the engine light with no failure message. I wish there was a simple fix, but going off the fiat forum I'd be wasting my time and money doing anything other than ecu swap.

Soldato
No crank problems would be present right from turn over ( in my fairly limited experience) but if the ecu doesn't recognise the error as enough of an issue to flag a light you may need fiat specific software to see it

That car looks OK but I can't see any mention of history. Its also wearing some crap tyres. You need to drive it really and ask what work has been done to it, particularly if you're not very hands on. Need to thoroughly check for rust too.

I've done disa, stat/pump, vanos seals, ccv(well bought the kit) valve cover gasket and have some rear pads and trailing arm bushes to do too to mine.

None of these bar the pads and bushes are particularly obvious (nor to be fair will they individually cause you major problems) but if you aren't doing the work yourself will cost a fair sum as and when you do the work.

I'd guesstimate I've spent circa 400 in parts to date, if you added labour that would be £1k+ of work that most of these cars will benefit from if there is no evidence of it having been done

If there is no history and it has any evidence of mechanical issues id keep looking, or try and pick it up for more like 3k

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom