• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice new cooler for 12700KF

Associate
Hi,

I'm just in the process of upgrading my CPU, Mobo, RAM and purchased the below components;

CORE I7-12700KF 3.70GHZ (ALDER LAKE) SOCKET LGA1700 PROCESSOR - Retail
PRIME Z690-P - INTEL Z690 DDR5 ATX MOTHERBOARD
16gb DDR5 RAM - Pre-ordered Crucial basics

After speaking with Coolmaster support they have confirmed my current cooler - Coolmaster Hyper 212x wont have an LGA1700 socket kit.

So I've been looking at new cooler solution and was just wandering if anyone could point me the right direction for a good AIO or Heatsink cooler please?

I'm currently looking at the below AIO coolers but I'm new to AIO coolers;
HYDRO SERIES ICUE H115I PRO XT RGB PERFORMANCE LIQUID COOLER - 280MM (CW-9060044-WW)
HYDRO SERIES ICUE H150I PRO XT RGB PERFORMANCE LIQUID COOLER - 360MM (CW-9060045-WW)

Case;
Fractal Meshify compact 2 LT Glass

Rob

Last edited:
Associate
All of them coolers will do the job, just check on the manufacturers website if you need to order a new fitting

Associate
OP
All of them coolers will do the job, just check on the manufacturers website if you need to order a new fitting

Thanks Morve

I ended up going with the Corsair HYDRO SERIES ICUE H100I PRO XT AIO due to case size limitations. I'm looking to mount the AIO in the top rear of the case so this wouldn't hinder an future GPU upgrades due to length issues.

In hindsight I should've gone for a Fractal Meshify 2 LT Glass and not the compact so i could house the 280mm or 360mm AIO in the front. Bigger is always better i guess in the case! :rolleyes:

Kind Regards
Robin Gregg

Soldato
Thanks Morve

I ended up going with the Corsair HYDRO SERIES ICUE H100I PRO XT AIO due to case size limitations. I'm looking to mount the AIO in the top rear of the case so this wouldn't hinder an future GPU upgrades due to length issues.

In hindsight I should've gone for a Fractal Meshify 2 LT Glass and not the compact so i could house the 280mm or 360mm AIO in the front. Bigger is always better i guess in the case! :rolleyes:

Kind Regards
Robin Gregg
I would have recommended the NH-U12 over any 240mm or even some 360mm to be honest.

Soldato
The Noctua NH-U14S will work nicely. Review here, with this cooler on a 12700K:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-12700k-alder-lake-12th-gen/21.html

Should be fine at 4.7ghz all core... If not, just leave leave turbo mode enabled.

Easiest thing to do is wait for an updated version of this cooler that is designed to work on LGA1700.

I think Noctua send out a free kit at the moment to fit on LGA1700 anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think an obvious thing to note is that the 12700K has 8 (+4 low power cores) cores, the Ryzen 5800X has 8. And the 12700K still runs cooler at stock settings, vs the 5800X (tested with the same NH-U14S cooler). It's runs a bit cooler than the 5900X too.

It's a fair bet that AMD's V-Cache CPUs aren't going to improve on Zen 3's temps...

Shame about the 12900K temps though...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think an obvious thing to note is that the 12700K has 8 (+4 low power cores) cores, the Ryzen 5800X has 8. And the 12700K still runs cooler at stock settings, vs the 5800X (tested with the same NH-U14S cooler). It's runs a bit cooler than the 5900X too.
It's a fair bet that AMD's V-Cache CPUs aren't going to improve on Zen 3's temps...

Shame about the 12900K temps though...

So you are running the 12700k on that Noctua cooler.?
Have you tried to set what it is like with an overclock and what sort of temps with something like Cinebench at full load.?
My 12700k with a 5.1Ghz on P and 4Ghz on E cores and will pull around 235w when running Cinebench, I have seen 273w until I was able to lower the vcore.
Temps are good with the 420mm AIO, but that is with the lower vcore.

I would be interested to note how that Noctua cools am overclocked 12700k.

Soldato
Just in the process of building and testing the Noctua NH-D14S on the 12700KF at stock and the temps are pretty good. After a 10 Min Throttling run in Cinebench R23 its peaked at 80 Degrees in a pretty warm department with standard load temps of about 65 degrees with fan speed on Standard.

I struggled getting fitting kits for Bequiet, Corsair, Asetek and Noctua (Managed in the end after speaking to my contacts at various manufacturers) but then found out that on the Asus board I am using (Z690-P-Wifi-D4) the holes for cooler mounting are actually elongated and allow fitting of a 115x cooler. As far as i can see there is no information stating this in their features and documentation.

So essentially if you buy an Asus Prime Z690-P Board your Coolermaster 212 will fit but may not have the cooling capability for that CPU.

Back
Top Bottom