Advice on a work situation

Do not under any circumstances resign

If the "new boss" is correct and all he bought is the assets then you "old boss" is still your employer.
If the "new boss" bought the business completely then they are your new boss already and they have to honour TUPE. (they will probably try to change you terms and conditions after the 3 month protected period though)

You need to get clarity on this asap.
If you have not been TUPEd then your "old boss" will have to make you redundant as clearly they no longer have a business capable of employing you.

Solicitor for sure, most will no win no fee consult for 30 mins or so. Also if struggling citizens advice, they have some great people who volunteer for them, but its a lottery on who you get.

What about other ex employees do you have contact with them?

Associate
what do you need a van for?
Most window cleaner I see use a pole based water brushing system and bring their own filtered water too (many hundreds of litres / kilos).
And unless they're based in a city, they're likely to have to travel many miles between households and businesses.

The old geezer on a bike with a ladder they are not anymore!

Caporegime
Most window cleaner I see use a pole based water brushing system and bring their own filtered water too (many hundreds of litres / kilos).
And unless they're based in a city, they're likely to have to travel many miles between households and businesses.

The old geezer on a bike with a ladder they are not anymore!

the ones i see in villages go door to door on foot. fill their bucket using peoples outdoor taps when they get dirty. could be as many as 2500 houses in a large estate. £10 per house with a 50% take up is £12.5K a month. if he does the full estate in a month then goes back to the start again.

no need to travel 10 miles between jobs. residential homes in affluent areas is where it's at.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
the ones i see in villages go door to door on foot. fill their bucket using peoples outdoor taps when they get dirty. could be as many as 2500 houses in a large estate. £10 per house with a 50% take up is £12.5K a month. if he does the full estate in a month then goes back to the start again.

no need to travel 10 miles between jobs. residential homes in affluent areas is where it's at.

Please go.

Soldato

Are you high? Do you really think someone washing windows with a bucket can make over £120k a year?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Let's keep this on topic please, the OP needs help on his current situation, not whether or not a window cleaner can make £120k/year with or without a van.

Soldato
The boss is thinking about his own interests not yours. There is no good will gesture. Do not resign.

This! Sounds like your old boss is doing you over.

If the person who was buying the business decides they no longer wish to take over, and only purchase the assets instead, then all the original staff are still employed by the existing owner. Whether he has any equipment or customers/contracts to work on is irrelevant, your employment with him doesn't just cease to exist because he's sold all of the equipment needed to run the place. In this case he would have to make you redundant as he can no longer facilitate a running business.

He was probably hoping the new guy was going to take on all the staff, but the new owner has probably decided the costs were too high.

See if you can get some free time with a solicitor who can write a letter to your current boss to point our that you're still employed by him, and that he would need to go through the redundancy process in order for your contract to be terminated.

I don't think you've mentioned yet, but what are the other staff doing? I assume it wasn't only you working there?

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your input. But I definitely won’t be window cleaning anytime soon if I can help it!

Spoke with possible new employer and he is willing to keep job open for me for now to try get something from current employer.

So just need to keep pushing him for redundancy.

Thanks

Associate
OP
OP, I used the gov's statutory redundancy calculator and your payout is £5,200 based on the info you left in this thread. Confirm for yourself here if you haven't already: https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Good luck !

Yes I have done that thank you. I was told with being there 13 year I could also get 12 weeks consultancy so altogether roughly 10k

This! Sounds like your old boss is doing you over.

If the person who was buying the business decides they no longer wish to take over, and only purchase the assets instead, then all the original staff are still employed by the existing owner. Whether he has any equipment or customers/contracts to work on is irrelevant, your employment with him doesn't just cease to exist because he's sold all of the equipment needed to run the place. In this case he would have to make you redundant as he can no longer facilitate a running business.

He was probably hoping the new guy was going to take on all the staff, but the new owner has probably decided the costs were too high.

See if you can get some free time with a solicitor who can write a letter to your current boss to point our that you're still employed by him, and that he would need to go through the redundancy process in order for your contract to be terminated.

I don't think you've mentioned yet, but what are the other staff doing? I assume it wasn't only you working there?

Only One other staff member which is a young apprentice only been there 2 year and he resigned because they asked him to

Thanks

Soldato
As has been mentioned do not resign, if you do that you will not get a payout from your current employer.

Also don't be fooled into thinking Tupe will protect you in the 'new' company because it sounds like they are trying to force a new contract onto you which means as soon as you sign that all Tupe protection is lost.

Associate
Best of luck. Sure its not a nice position to be in.

Re-training is sometimes an option and only you know your circumstances. I left a job paying £58K and now earn £20K as a trainee paramedic. My wife only earns a very small £12K salary for part-time.

Back
Top Bottom