advice on atx or smaller system

Associate
I currently have a large tower which is getting on a bit and am looking at getting something more wife friendly.

My pc sits in my living room so it would be nice to get something a bit more modern that does not stick out as much as my current case

is there anything i need to look out for.

i am looking at a ryzen 2700 build. I have a G1 1080 GTX GPU.

does the choice of size of case effect only the MB form factor or does it effect everything else as well.

i just want a medium size case that will take a single GPU etc

this looks nice

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/in-win-301-micro-atx-gaming-case-white-ca-07r-iw.html

and thinking of pairing it with this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-57h-gi.html

Associate
OP
Do you need the system right now or can you wait?

A below is re-post (with edit) of what i've mentioned before to a similar request:

If possible consider waiting until the release of zen 2 - as if it lives up to the hype this should have an impact on INTEL's ridiculous pricing structure or you may dip your toe in to Ryzen territory.

Read last few pages of this thread- Clicky - to get an idea (ignore the bitchy handbags at dawn crap).

In the mean time if you need a PSU for the upcoming build i would buy one of these PSUs preparation as they're an amazing bargain (Basically a Seasonic Focus in slightly different housing):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

cheers yes i have read the zen 2 thread. I picked up a 2700 for £155 on Saturday so assume that zen 2 will be more than that. I actually am not in a rush

Associate
OP
wii fii would be useful but not mandatory as my pc is by my router anyway. Cheers @Plec for all your help as well.

a quiet pc would also be very useful as well as my current one sounds like a hair dryer

everyone is saying to wait to Ryzen 3. However i have picked up a 2700 for £155 and assume that ryzen 3 will be more expensive for similar performance. My understanding is that if i get a AMD4 board now i can still upgrade the CPU in time anyway

Associate
OP
is the msi carbon better than the tomahawk version as the msi carbon is discounted to a similar price on the rain forest

anyone have any experience of the

Phanteks Eclipse P400S

I want to go with a white case as it would suit my living room a bit better than a black PC as i have a white speaker/sub system.

my wife will tolerate anything which is white hence the requirement for my pc case to be white

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still deciding on what case and motherboard to get Picked up a 750 watt psu from thie site as they were on offer Antec HCG Gold 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Picked up a £500 gb m2 drive so nearly sorted

Associate
OP
After looking at some videos last night I was surprised to see that a good air cooler beat a number of AIO

Noctua came up trumps

I have also settled on the h500 so will hopefully get a decent air cooler to fit the CPU Not so concerned about the Gpu as my gigabyte G1 runs cool anyway

Associate
OP
cheers for that link - i am not that bothered about the looks inside as the pc will be positioned on my floor between my sub woofer and the wall (with around a couple of cms of space for airflow). So the looks of the components are not that important. If the scthye is a better performer then i will get that one.

does clearance take into account the space between top of CPU and case or CPU and ram. I just want to make sure what ever cooler i get will fit. Also do air coolers come with thermal paste or do i need to buy some

Associate
OP
is the carbon MSI worth an extra £20 over the tomahawk. also as i am getting a cooler do i need an x470 board. (is x470 more future proof or offer a better deal than B450)

I notice the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming is £124 - again is that going to be better than either MSI efforts

Associate
OP
cheers again. I have looked at the scyth fans and there seems to be 2 similar ones. Not sure which would suit me more

there is the mugen rev b or the fuma rev b - both seem AMD4 compatible. the fuma seems to have 2 fans

the fuma looks wider so would that hinder my build.

I also note that the original Cryogic H7 now has an additional heatsink compared to the original H7 and looking at some reviews of the RGB version of the H7 ultra it seems to perform better than the scythe mugen. I understand that the Cryogic is a very easy install compared to the scyth

https://play3r.net/reviews/cooling/cryorig-h7-quad-lumi-rgb-cpu-cooler-review/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks @Plec and @orbitalwalsh for the help with choosing the components. Everything is now ordered apart from ram and air cooler.

ram has now gone up in price as it was £74 to £89. now sure what to get now. I assume this will be ok. Dont want to pay a premium for 3200.

i also assume that i dont need 32GB at this stage. I am only interested in gaming and watching movies

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2d30-my-4bu-cs.html

One question regarding the physical build is should i attach the cpu cooler and ram to the MB before fitting the MB to the case or put the MB in the case and then attach the components at that point.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I went for the HXZT H500 case
the MSI carbon pro MB
the 2700 ryzen CPU
I have an old GTX1080 GPU from my existing build and lots of SSDs
I also went for a corsair MP510 480GB M2 drive
i had a antec gold 750w PSU
dont need a monitor as i use my TV

i dont think i am missing anything else?

just need to get some ram and decide on an air cooler or see if the stock wraith cooler is good enough.

then build the thing

Back
Top Bottom