Advice on Buying 32gb DDR4 Memory

Associate
Hi Guys.

I currently have Corsair 2x8gb 3600 18 22 22 42

With a X570 MSI Tomahawk, 5800x3d and a 3080.

My question's are

Should i buy another pair of corsair 3600 2x8gb or should i just buy 2x16gb ?

If so what 2x16gb would be a good buy ?

Lastly would I even benefit from doubling my Ram ?

Cheers

Caporegime

4x8Gb vs. 2x16Gb is usually much of a muchness in terms of performance, slightly favouring 4x8 but it's usually easier to get 2x16Gb stable at higher speeds. If you can get matching memory then that's probably the best option, imo, especially if you're not overclocking.

If you've got a second monitor, run Task Manager on it while doing whatever you're doing and see how high your memory use is. If you're consistently close to full memory then you'll see a big benefit, if it occasionally spikes near full you'll see a small benefit, and if it stays comfortable you won't see any benefit.

Man of Honour
2x8GB is kind of dodgy nowadays since you can easily get nerfed sticks with only 4 chips that perform significantly worse.

If you haven't noticed yourself running out (e.g. unexplained lagging, apps taking ages to close, stutters or having to restart games after you've been playing a long while), then the answer is probably no, but 2x16 is not something I'd consider a waste.

Associate
OP
4x8Gb vs. 2x16Gb is usually much of a muchness in terms of performance, slightly favouring 4x8 but it's usually easier to get 2x16Gb stable at higher speeds. If you can get matching memory then that's probably the best option, imo, especially if you're not overclocking.

If you've got a second monitor, run Task Manager on it while doing whatever you're doing and see how high your memory use is. If you're consistently close to full memory then you'll see a big benefit, if it occasionally spikes near full you'll see a small benefit, and if it stays comfortable you won't see any benefit.
Do you think i can just add another set of my corsair 3600 ? And be good ?

I dont think im having high memory usage but its getting pretty close in games now and just considering adding another set

Soldato
I'm personally running 128GB and right at this minute in windows, I'm using 10.3gb... and thats just general with not a lot open... so for me, the days of 16GB are frankly gone... 2x16GB is perfect and more than enough... 2x8GB right now is pushing it I think... and for the cost why not just go for the 32GB and you know you're good for 99% of everything you throw at it. OR just add another 2x8GB... just make sure it's excactly the same ram... either way running 32GB is futureproofing nicely and ensure no swapping and messing around.

Sorry just reread your original post, yeah if you have 4 slots, just slap another 2x8gb's in is the cheapest way of doing it probably rather than ditching and going 2x16gb... tough one really it really doesn't matter and any board worth anything can and should handle 4 slots full fine. Blimey up until recent weeks I was running 8x8gb in an old X79 clocked to hell and was 100% stable lol.

Soldato
I went from 2 x 8 3600 cl16 to 4 x 8 3600 cl14 (8 pack ram) and I did notice a performance difference.

Mostly games open and close much more swiftly now.

I think for a gaming system 32Gb is the new 16Gb.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a 2 by 8gig 3600 CL14 kit and replaced it with a 2 by 16gig 3200 CL17 kit which was noticeably faster.

It did help that the 32gig kit was dual rank.

16gigs of RAM just isn’t enough these days for a lot of gamers - even using Chrome can eat a lot of RAM and RAM is so cheap.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys, what Ram would you recommend ? Or should i just get another 2 x 8gb of what I have now ?

Associate
Are you sure the memory was faster itself, or system was more responsive due to bigger memory probably with some higher than 16GB usage
Memory usage was fine with the 16gig kit, the dual rank kit was 5 to 8 fps faster in games.

I managed to tweak the timings and get it to ~10 fps faster.

The single rank kit was fine, it was just not as fast.

Soldato
Go for the 2x16 and sell on your existing sticks - I've found fewer slots is generally more stable and it gives you the option to expand further if needed in the future.

Back
Top Bottom