Advice on Completing New Build

Soldato
Hi All

I am looking at building a new PC and wanted some help filling in the blanks and perhaps suggestions for alternatives for the parts I have chosen.

I already have a GTX 1070 and I am not looking to change that just yet - it is more than capable for my 1080 monitors. I also don't need peripherals or software.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,164.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

The components I am struggling to pick are a decent cooler (ideally an AIO) and PSU. I want to do some overclocking on the 8700, but not looking at getting every last MHz out of it. Also happy to hear suggestions for changes. I'd like to keep the budget below £1500 but it's not a hard limit.

EDIT

Based on Copesman's feedback, I have adjusted my spec. £330 was a bit spendy!

Total: £1,067.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh yeah. Wow, £330 on a 1TB nvme is a huge wedge of cash that could go elsewhere. Have you considered a 256GB nvme for OS and essential apps, a 500GB SSD for games (assuming this is a gaming rig?) and 2-3TB mechanical HDD for file storage?

You could even pick up an Adata 480GB nvme drive for under £120 if you do want a bigger nvme drive. That's a great deal given how expensive nvme storage still is.

For PSU - is it important that it's modular or does that not matter?

Are you set on that case? You could save £50 or so and still get a case that gives you most of that one does. What attracts you to that one - Aesthetics? Size? Features? Airflow? Noise?

AIO coolers I know little about, but it's my understanding (which I am happy to be corrected on) that something like the Noctua NH-D15 pretty much keeps up with the top tier AIOs to within a few degrees, whilst also being quieter and having a longer lifespan with no worries about pump malfunctions (also cheaper). (I may be a bit out of date on this, so if some icier AIOs have come on the market in the last couple of years, someone will probably be along to point you in the right direction. I'm going NH-D15 when I replace my stock cooler, though).

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah. Wow, £330 on a 1TB nvme is a huge wedge of cash that could go elsewhere. Have you considered a 256GB nvme for OS and essential apps, a 500GB SSD for games (assuming this is a gaming rig?) and 2-3TB mechanical HDD for file storage?

Yes, this is mostly a gaming rig, but will be my primary system for other stuff. I have updated my cart in the OP.

For PSU - is it important that it's modular or does that not matter?

I would prefer modular.

Are you set on that case? You could save £50 or so and still get a case that gives you most of that one does. What attracts you to that one - Aesthetics? Size? Features? Airflow? Noise?

I am very taken with that case. It looks great and I have been eye-ing up cases for a while. It has loads of wiggle room for future expansion (such as custom water).

AIO coolers I know little about, but it's my understanding (which I am happy to be corrected on) that something like the Noctua NH-D15 pretty much keeps up with the top tier AIOs to within a few degrees, whilst also being quieter and having a longer lifespan with no worries about pump malfunctions (also cheaper). (I may be a bit out of date on this, so if some icier AIOs have come on the market in the last couple of years, someone will probably be along to point you in the right direction. I'm going NH-D15 when I replace my stock cooler, though).

I have been rocking two Corsair H50-1 on both my i7 machines for the last 8 years and they haven't missed a beat. I almost went for a newer Corsair AIO out of reflex, but I have been out of the loop (pun mostly not intended) for some time!

Soldato
Yes, this is mostly a gaming rig, but will be my primary system for other stuff. I have updated my cart in the OP.

Yeah, that to me looks like a better use of funds for drives!

I was thinking, £330 on one drive?! :eek:

:)

I would prefer modular.

I've seen a lot of people recommending this one as a good value option for this kind of build. I don't have any experience with it myself, mind, but I know Seasonic make good PSUs and it's gold rated with a 10-year warranty so it looks a solid choice.

I am very taken with that case. It looks great and I have been eye-ing up cases for a while. It has loads of wiggle room for future expansion (such as custom water).

Yeah, it does look nice tbf!

I have been rocking two Corsair H50-1 on both my i7 machines for the last 8 years and they haven't missed a beat. I almost went for a newer Corsair AIO out of reflex, but I have been out of the loop (pun mostly not intended) for some time!

Fair enough! I guess the top-end AIOs do offer the very best cooling. I've never kept up with which is best, though, tbh.

Associate
With regards to AIO's, either get a 280 or 360 and mount it at the front of the case, i don't think there is much between the brands tbh, just choose a brand you trust and look at a few reviews on YouTube.
Personally i will be sticking with corsair for my next AIO purchase as i have had a H80 for about 6 years now and i have been very happy with it.
If you can, try and create positive air pressure in the case to help keep dust out.

Regarding PSU's your probably going to be looking at 650w to give you some headroom, dont go cheap, get something £80+
I'm using the 750w version of this:
Total: £100.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Here is a link to a list of PSU brands/models and what "Tier" they are :https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Soldato
If you want to save some more cash you could go with the ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 and a Team Group SSD.

Also the 3200MHz Team Group kit is the same price.

Total: £384.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

As for the psu you can't really go wrong with a Bitfenix Whisper, Seasonic Focus, Antec Earthwatts/HCG Gold or Corsair RMx/RMi.

The Alphacool Eisbaer 360mm is a good performing AIO but out of stock at the moment. I would go with a 280mm - 360mm from Corsair, NZXT or BeQuiet if you don't want to wait.

Soldato
The case looks dreadful, but beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. I'm a big fan of Silverstone's rotated cases, the FT02 and FT05. I also like cube cases like the Corsair Carbide, or there's the Bitfenix Prodigy M and Phenom if you're willing to go mATX.

Total: £260.19 (includes shipping: £17.22)​

Soldato
OP
The case looks dreadful, but beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. I'm a big fan of Silverstone's rotated cases, the FT02 and FT05. I also like cube cases like the Corsair Carbide, or there's the Bitfenix Prodigy M and Phenom if you're willing to go mATX.

Whatever floats your goat! :p My current machine is in a Silverstone RV02. It's a great case, but despite its exterior size, there's not that much room inside.

Back
Top Bottom