Advice on Hot Water / Heating problem

Soldato
Hi all, hopefully there are some plumbers/ex plumbers or people in the know about things like this. First of all, I apologize in advance about knowing nothing much about this kind of thing and if I use the wrong terms I'm sorry. I barely know about the setup in each house but I will try to explain how it is.

We rent and have the following issues we want fixed.

1: Pipes in the airing cupboard knock/bang/pop/click and make noise only when the hot water is on on it's own.

When the heating is on as well as hot water, or on it's own, the knocking goes away. It sounds to me very much like there is air in the pipes, as the pump does that stalling noise like when it isn't getting a 100% water feed, and then wooshes off and will be quiet for a bit. In fact, I'm almost certain it's air. When the hot water is on first thing in the morning at 6:30 (we have to have it on then to get hot water for morning) it wakes me up which is annoying.
Been like this for over a year. They have tried stuff before like wiring the pump up differently but it hasn't helped. The pump always comes on in the airing cupboard when the HW is on. I turned it down myself from medium to low which partially helped the noise levels (the pump seems noisy to me anyway personally) but it still knocks and clicks away. It does it whenever the HW is on not just in the morning. There is no radiator in the HW loop like the bathroom one to dry towels - I say this based on the fact no radiators come on when the HW is on even if the rad valves are open.
I spoke to a friend who mentioned that it could be the way it has been wired up.
It is NOT water hammer apparently my friend reckons. The taps do NOT splutter/stutter or knock when you turn them off. HW works ok, but does take a while to come through to the tap when we turn it on, but this might be down to the pump I turned down to low.
My mate also said to try wiring it so that it is purely gravity fed rather than relying on a pump. I don't know how to do that, but we have a reservoir thing in the loft and a boiler in the kitchen. We have the standard HW tank cylinder thing in the airing cupboard.

Any ideas to stop the noise? It isn;t a loud massive earthwuake like whack, but more a popping knocking clicking constant. Drives me mad.

Agency/landlord is being rubbish at fixing this. They don't want to know really as say it works.

2: Heating hard to control

The thermostat for the heating I have to turn up to like 26/27c for it to even come on when the room temp is clearly below 20c. Say the room temp is 16c, the stat I will still have to turn to 25c for it to click on. So say I go to the airing cupboard and make sure heating is on on the computer thing (or say it was set to come on) the stat must be up high for it to come on.
The heating then will come on but get really hot. Basically where say at most houses you set the stat to say 18c and it just comes on and off when required to get to that temp. Ours we can't do it like that, coz I would have to set it to like 26c ish and then it comes on really hot and we end up just turning it off. Set it lower and it doesn't come on at all.

Again, I have had the plumber out on this, the electrician. I apparently had the stat replaced and also they moved it from downstairs to upstairs in case it made a difference. Still the same. It's an analogue dial thermostat.

Any ideas all?

Really appreciate any help with this. No really really do. Want to get it resolved and am close to paying someone to do it then sending agency/landlord the bill. I know...they probably would refuse to pay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom