Advice on new build

Associate
Hey everyone!

First off, I'm new to these forums and hope to become an active member!

I'm wanting to build a new PC soon. My current build is as follows:

• AMD X2 6000+
  • MSI K9N SLI Platinum
  • 2GB Corsair RAM
  • 500GB WD HD
  • ASUS 8800GT
  • HX 520W Corsair PSU

My budget is gunna be about £1000. Really don't want to spend much more than that at all. The current system I'm planning at the moment is gunna be approximately based around the list below, but if you feel something should be changed for something else because of 'x' and 'y', please let me know!

• Antec 1200 Case
  • Intel i6 920 (S1366)
  • ASUS P6TD Deluxe Mobo, Intel X58, S1366
  • 6GB (3x2) Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM
  • HD4890 1GB
  • 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3
  • 32/64GB SSD Drive (Undecided as to which one)
  • Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 (For CPU)
  • Antec CP 850W Modular PSU

Any help/advice greatly appriciated!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hey Adam, welcome
bit impatient, bump after an hour, lol
Whats the main use for the PC going to be, what youve put together looks pretty good but cant really give specific advice without knowing its intended use

Permabanned
That Antec is one of the best, you dont see it recomended often because its CPX standard not ATX so only fits in 3 cases, antecs 1200, P183 and P193

Associate
OP
Hey Adam, welcome
bit impatient, bump after an hour, lol
Whats the main use for the PC going to be, what youve put together looks pretty good but cant really give specific advice without knowing its intended use

Sorry, my post was making its way to the bottom of the page with 0 views :( Anyway, I'll be using the computer for general use, Photoshop and gaming. The system I want is probably a bit overkill, but I like to have the best I can afford :)

Looks ok to me but I would try and steer towards a HX series PSU from Corsair myself?

As Thrifles said, the Antec PSU is actually a really good one, but limited due to its unusual dimentions. I did take a look at the HX, but its just too expensive when I can pick up the Antec 1200 and PSU as part of a bundle from a competitor for £199.99 soon (when it's released :))!

That Antec is one of the best, you dont see it recomended often because its CPX standard not ATX so only fits in 3 cases, antecs 1200, P183 and P193

Yeah, I've read some reviews for it and it looks pretty good :) Hopefully it will do the job, and as I said above, it's gunna be part of a bundle which makes it a real steal! :D

Associate
4890 should be fine for 1680x1050. Always worth a look at the 5800s though.

The RAM implies you're overclocking high, looks good with the cooler :)

As for SSD, go for a second generation one, Intel G2 if you can afford it, else the new crucials.

Associate
OP
4890 should be fine for 1680x1050. Always worth a look at the 5800s though.

The RAM implies you're overclocking high, looks good with the cooler :)

As for SSD, go for a second generation one, Intel G2 if you can afford it, else the new crucials.

Oh and, you could look at a lot more HD space for little more money, it's very cheap these days.

I assume the Intel G2s are expensive as you say 'if you can afford it', so they;re out. I did have a look the new Crucial drives and wondered why they are cheap compared to the others... The 64Gb drive is around £100, the same price as a competitor's 30-32Gb drives... Why is that? :S

I do realise about HD prices, but 500GB is more than enough for me :)

EDIT: Oh, regarding the 5800s, they look very nice, but probably above my budget. We'll have to see eh!

Soldato
Save a little money by getting a i7-860 and a P55 motherboard, you'll get similar performance and overclocking headroom (You'll need to decide whther to go for 4 or 6G of RAM though). Use the difference towards an HD5870 rather than the HD4890.

Back
Top Bottom