advice on new PSU

Associate
Existing PSU has blown (Corsair HX620), looking for a replacement.
looking to get another corsair, Can i get away with one of the cheaper options i.e. Corsair TX650W, or do i need to get the HX650W?

My PC specs are in my sig, its going into an antec p182 case and i also have a 8800 GTX graphics card.
Any advice much appreciated.

Permabanned
If youre not buying a 2nd gfx card anytime soon, 550W would do you, in addition to being modular the HX series are also more efficient though, newer tech, unfortunately they dont seem to do a 550 HX version, so you can either pay the premium and go for 650HX or save the pennies and get a 550TX. How old was your old PSU though? iirc corsair do 7 year warranty, have you looked into RMA?

Soldato
If I were you, set up an RMA with corsair. Here is the website.

However, an RMA with corsair usually needs to go to europe, so it will take a while (2 weeks +). If I was you, buy a new PSU, send off the broken PSU for RMA, then sell the fully working replacement you get. You will end up spending not much money and get a PSU upgrade in the process.

If I was you, I'd go for the HX650. It is expensive, but its worth the premium - it seems to be built in a similar way to the new HX 750/850 supplies, i.e. very good and very efficient.

Associate
OP
thanks alot for that, if its gonna take that long, i'll take your advice and order a replacement. the hx650 looks nice, although a bit pricey!

Top Bottom