Advice on upgrading my current system

Associate
Hi All,
I am looking to upgrade my system specs below not sure weather to go for a fully new system or just get some performance increase if my current hardware allows?
cpu: Ryzen 7 2700X
mobo: Gigabyte AX370- Gaming K7
ram: 16GB DDR4 3200
gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce
Monitor: cant find any details its an LG 144hz 24"
psu: 800w corsair

I play all kinds of games not just FPS or decent graphics but would be nice to play the latest on the the best settings with decent fps.
I dont know much about components comparisons hence the question here.

Im not sure if its just upgrade GPU + monitor and roll with that for a while then look at a DDR5 components?
Budget in total id say £2k as i say weather that's for a complete upgrade or spend a bit less on a GPU and monitor.

IF a new system i dont need case, mouse, keyboard, OS would be components only.

Hope that question makes sense and i have provided enough info to help me?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Your system is still good a couple of tweaks maybe but you need to decide if a new monitor is what you want. Resolution and refresh rate will determine how much gpu horse power you need.

New gpu's are going to be released this year along with new cpus so could wait.

Associate
OP
Thank you so that has kind of confirmed leave system as is and look for a GPU + monitor that way when it comes to upgrading the system hopefully the GPU wont be that far behind :)

Man of Honour
Thank you so that has kind of confirmed leave system as is and look for a GPU + monitor that way when it comes to upgrading the system hopefully the GPU wont be that far behind :)
I would be looking a new monitor first 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot for gaming but there are lots if options. See how you gtx 1080 holds up.What's the max resoloution of you existing monitor ?

Gpu upgrade going to give you the biggest performance gain but with new stuff on the horizon hold fire. You can always drop a faster cpu in your existing state if needed.

Associate
Like Micky said there is a whole host of new components due for release in the next 6 months so you always have the option to wait a while. For a limited upgrade you could check to see if Gigabyte have upgraded the bios for Ryzen 3 5000 cpus , a 5600 would be much better for games than the 2700. I have a 1080 in a system upstairs and it does still do OK but my RX 6800 is significantly faster.

If I was you I would look at monitors first. Have a look at what is available and what sort would be best for you. It is actually a very personal and complex choice for a component that will most likely last you longer than anything else you buy. Some monitors are great for content comsumption but suck for office work and vice versa. Check out HWunboxed on Youtube or rtings website for insanely detailed reviews. Once you know what sort of monitor you want it helps with choosing other components.

Associate
Hi All,
I am looking to upgrade my system specs below not sure weather to go for a fully new system or just get some performance increase if my current hardware allows?
cpu: Ryzen 7 2700X
mobo: Gigabyte AX370- Gaming K7
ram: 16GB DDR4 3200
gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce
Monitor: cant find any details its an LG 144hz 24"
psu: 800w corsair

I play all kinds of games not just FPS or decent graphics but would be nice to play the latest on the the best settings with decent fps.
I dont know much about components comparisons hence the question here.

Im not sure if its just upgrade GPU + monitor and roll with that for a while then look at a DDR5 components?
Budget in total id say £2k as i say weather that's for a complete upgrade or spend a bit less on a GPU and monitor.

IF a new system i dont need case, mouse, keyboard, OS would be components only.

Hope that question makes sense and i have provided enough info to help me?

Thanks
Upgrade your current rig to an AMD 5600X or 5700X.

You could also get an Nvidia 3080 if you want. They are cheap at the moment and should pick your system up for the next while.

Then, in a few months, upgrade to Intel 13th gen or AMD AM5.

Man of Honour
Update the bios on your x370 board then swap the CPU to a 5600 (or 5600x) depending on budget.
Get a 3060ti founders edition and all good to go for ~£500.
No faffing around

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your advice :)
I think its come down to hold fire on components look at a decent monitor + GPU then in 6 months or so look at spending more on the other bits.
The other issue is i do work form home from time to time, website stuff, office 365 apps word, excel etc but mainly gaming so monitor if its not best for work its not end of the world.

Thanks again.

Soldato
whether

What kind of monitor do you have currently? I would have a good think about what kind of monitor you want first. I personally would go for a larger monitor, as feels more immersive, and will be better for work. Think about resolution. 4k won't always work out a better experience as it is more demanding for your gpu.

Associate
OP
*Whether (skipped school) :)
The monitor i have currentlly is a LG 24GM77-B which i think...... when i brought it some time ago now was a decent(ish) monitor.
I am running 144hz on it but to be honest im not the most clued up on it all sorry..

Associate
That LG is an ok monitor for gaming, is a TN panel so will have very bold colours that some may find over saturated if you are like me and used to an IPS display. You can just keep using it for as long as you like.

Picking the correct monitor for yourself is actually very complicated. Depends on your desk , your eyes , the games and other tasks you do etc etc etc. I will give an example so you can see what I mean

Earlier this year Samsung brought out a new range of Quantum Dot OLED panels . They were perfect in every way with high refresh rate , high resolution , real HDR .......except they suck for office use because of the sub pixel layout. So if all you do is comsume content they are perfect but no good for office tasks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleSuwK8vR4

There is actually no perfect monitor so you will have to find the one that suits your use case the best. HWunboxed know what more than I do about monitors so I suggest you take their advice and watch their videos on them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom