Advice please on 19" TFT

Associate
Hi guys, Looking for some help for a friend of mine who has just registered but can't yet post. He wants to buy a 19" monitor for photoshop work and would prefer to stay with the 4.3 format rather than wide screen.

Budget is round the £350 mark but will stretch to the Viewsonic VP930 if the slight extra cost justifies it. I have the VP930 myself and although he has not yet been over to see it [Distance to travel] I would like some independent comments from other members as I would hate to mislead him in any way.

I think the VP930 will be his best choice as his photography is important to him and his own website is mainly in black with white text and of course his photos.

The VP930 is 8 ms and I think this is more than enough for games such as tomb raider and similar, but others have told him to go for a TN panel of around the 3 - 4 ms mark. I will appreciate some unbiased and independent comments from members as to my recommendation and other models within the price range of £350 or slightly above. His current monitor is the Mitsubishi 930sb and this will be his first TFT

Many thanks guys for any help you can give. :)

Man of Honour
I think the VP930 would be a fantastic choice really. The responsiveness of the panel is certainly perfectly fine for gaming, even a fair amount of fast FPS, but sounds like the games played aren;t exactly the fastest anyway, so not an issue. For photography work, and for someone who wants a decent black depth, a TN Film panel would not be the best imo. If you're a photo enthusiast then you would be much better with a true 16.7 million colour (8 bit ) display and not a dithered 6 bit (16.2 million colours) display. TN Film panels might offer the edge in responsiveness for gaimng, but really cant compete in static use to a P-MVA panel like the VP930. The Dell 1905FP would also be worth a look imo, a very good screen for static image work, but not so good for gaming. Depends how much he plays though....

Back
Top Bottom