Advice required for new monitor please

Associate
Hi all, I’m looking for advice if possible. I own a Dell G3223D 1440p GSYNC compatible monitor and tbh it’s been superb. I’ve just upgraded to a 4080 super paired with a Ryzen 7 5800x3d and I’m looking to go 4k.

My budget would be upto £500 possibly a touch more, 32” and GSYNC compatibility is pretty much a must.. Many thanks for any advice/replies
Thank you

Soldato
AOC 32" U32G3X/BK 3840x2160 IPS 144Hz 1ms GTG HDR400 Freesync/G-Sync 2 x HDMI 2.
£649.99

Gigabyte 32" M32U 3840x2160 4K SS IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync KVM HDR Widescreen Gaming Monitor
£688.99

Associate
OP
Dell AW3423DWF is often on offer at £600ish and an excellent choice.

Edit - sorry missed the 4K spec.
Absolutely looked into this monitor mate and it tempted me .. there seems to be quite a few posts regarding GSync “flicker” any experience with this? I don’t know if I could ever go back to non GSync after having it on my current monitor. Many thanks

Caporegime
Absolutely looked into this monitor mate and it tempted me .. there seems to be quite a few posts regarding GSync “flicker” any experience with this? I don’t know if I could ever go back to non GSync after having it on my current monitor. Many thanks
I have the previous version, the DW, rather than the DWF.

There's loads with the DWF in this thread:

Associate
OP
I had the M32U before getting the AW3423DWF and the difference is night and day and then some, and then a bit more.
Sorry for the delay in replying Jon, do you mean the Dw is head and shoulders above the M32u mate? Don’t suppose you run a Nvidia card if so what are your thoughts regarding GSYNC etc, I’ve heard different experiences regarding GSYNC with this particular monitor.. Thank you.

Soldato
Sorry for the delay in replying Jon, do you mean the Dw is head and shoulders above the M32u mate?
Yes, very much so.
Theres absolutely no comparison between QD OLED and IPS screens on those 2 monitors.
Imo, once you go QD OLED you're never ever going back.
Don’t suppose you run a Nvidia card if so what are your thoughts regarding GSYNC etc, I’ve heard different experiences regarding GSYNC with this particular monitor.. Thank you.
I've used both with a 4090, but don't use GSYNC.

Calling @mrk as he could answer this better than me.

Soldato
Very nice :cool:
Keep an eye out if mrk replies, he'll be able to answer your GSYNC question.
Do bear in mind that the AW3423DWF isn't 4K like the M32U.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hi,

No issues with GSYNC in itself it's VRR flicker that currently exhibits itself on OLED monitors, so would be seen on FreeSync as well as GSYNC monitors and only under certain conditions which you may or may not notice depending on if those conditions are met.

The DWF model seems to fair better whilst the DW version at 175Hz has VRR flicker more obvious. I run my DW at 144Hz 10-bit anyway so this is les sof an issue but some games on the menu screen if it's dark grey for example may have some flicker - Just the way it is with current tech.

The benefits of VRR (Freesync or GSYNC) outweigh some VRR flicker in some games under certain conditions. You get much smoother motion panning in games, better mouse to screen latency etc.

It's not a 4K monitor no, but as you now have a higher end Nvidia card, you can simply render games at 4K ultrawide using DLDSR in the NV control panel or NV App whichever you use:

CbyIGc8.png

So 5160x2160 and use DLSS Performance to apply upscaling and AA whilst retaining good framerates. The image will typically be sharper and cleaner but this all boils down to the individual game. In many games it's often better to just play at native 3440x1440 and use DLAA or DLSS Quality for the most optimum visuals and framerates.

If I was buying again then the DWF is the one I'd go for and still keep GSYNC enabled (GSYNC and Freesync work the same way so you don't need a GSYNC monitor to enable GSYNC as they're the same adaptive sync standard).

Associate
OP
Thank you both for your advice.. @mrk if you were buying OLED atm and say you’d got upto £900-1000 would you be looking at any other alternatives to the DWF? I do especially like Dells after sale service. Again thanks to you both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom