Advice required

Soldato
Buttkicker said:
Thanks for the quick responses... but please leave out the 'why has your daughter got a £180 phone'

We weren't trying to ram it down your throat, it was some helpful advice. Just seemed an excessive amount of money for a phone, let alone one for a child. Guess you've found out the hard way :(

Soldato
Nope, entirely your fault. It's against school regs for her to have a mobile phone on her, and it's been stolen. Face the consequences of your actions. Tough ****.

Soldato
What you might find is that they have some form of legal protection meaning that they're not liable for what happens to confiscated items, due to the fact that they were confiscated as they contravened school rules. Especially seeing as someone could take in an item worth thousands, get it confiscated, and then it's subsequently stolen - and then the school has to cough up money it doesn't have.

Associate
well my lad had his phone confiscated, at school (a while back) and there policy was to lock it up in the school safe for a week. didnt matter how much bellyaching we did they would not back down. but they did state whilst in there possesion it was on there insurance. so you might have a chance. (surely they know which kids were in the class? can they not ask them, somebody must have seen it go walkies.)

Caporegime
Slightly OT but i just had a great idea.

Next time a teacher cofiscates an item from your child, keep the kid at home. When social services come round cofiscate the social worker stating no social workers in the house, or perhaps their mobile (producing a pre printed form stating it) :p

On topic the newspaper idea is a good one if the school dont cooperate. Nothing makes people back better than some bad press. I would be suprised if they didnt have some kind of insurance though although it depends whether the insurance would only cover the phone if it was locked up.

Soldato
BrenOS said:
WTF?

What is the world coming too? Small claims court? Local paper?

:(

Was just thinking the same :/

I'm very much of the opinion that there is a REASON why mobile phones are banned at schools and I guess you've just discovered one of them

Get over it and buy a new phone .. preferably a cheap one this time and ensure your little darling obeys the school rules

Soldato
They took it and lost it - it's arrogance in the extreme to presume they are not responsible.

I really can't believe the people in this thread saying it's the kids / parents fault - it's not. If the school cannot take responsibility for their lack of care over the phone then the court will have to step in and make the decision for them.

Associate
Telescopi said:
They took it and lost it - it's arrogance in the extreme to presume they are not responsible.

I really can't believe the people in this thread saying it's the kids / parents fault - it's not. If the school cannot take responsibility for their lack of care over the phone then the court will have to step in and make the decision for them.

Yes, the school did have a 'lack of care' as you put it when they manage to lose something they confiscated.

But you ignore the original lack of care by the child (and arguably by the parent in the first instance) of taking a phone into a place where the phone is not allowed.

Suggesting court action and going to the newspapers is a massive over-reaction, especially considering we don't yet know the schools response to this.

Soldato
chippie said:
Yes, the school did have a 'lack of care' as you put it when they manage to lose something they confiscated.

But you ignore the original lack of care by the child (and arguably by the parent in the first instance) of taking a phone into a place where the phone is not allowed.

Suggesting court action and going to the newspapers is a massive over-reaction, especially considering we don't yet know the schools response to this.

We've heard the teachers response to this - deny all responsibility.

I shouldn't be surprised though, not many teachers have any moral backbone these days.

Soldato
BrenOS said:
Nope, entirely your fault. It's against school regs for her to have a mobile phone on her, and it's been stolen. Face the consequences of your actions. Tough ****.

But, at the time it was stolen she didnt have it with her. It is clearly the teachers fault for letting it be stolen, had they just let her keep it (it was off after all) it wouldnt of happened.

Associate
Telescopi said:
We've heard the teachers response to this - deny all responsibility.

I shouldn't be surprised though, not many teachers have any moral backbone these days.

Yes, the teacher may deny all responsibility, but we don't know what the school (who have overall responsibility) have to say.

You will probably find that most people in most situations will refuse to admit liability to anything that may involve insurance and leave it to their superiors and/or insurance people to sort out. I don't think it displays a lack of 'moral backbone'.

Back
Top Bottom