Afraid of the dark?

Associate
I think it will pass. I used to be scared of dark and had a night light and everything but then it passed and now I cant sleep if there is any light in the room and dont mind walking outside in the dark. So I think option 1 is good as these things will pass eventually. I would probably still be scared of dark if I had been forced to sleep in the dark / walk outside in the dark alone.

Soldato
Why is this in the PC games forum?

I read the title as this

1272278193-00.jpg

Soldato
Option 1 and then rather than chuck him in the deep end and traumatise the poor kid take him out at night and show him it isn't that dark etc. This is why kids should go to cubs and stuff like that to get over these fears, but in the absence of being able to palm it off to such bodies then show some initiative and show them the night is not really dark and full of terrors! Go camping etc. If that doesn't work then the kid obviously needs some help because if pushed or not help such things will develop into serious problems down the line.

Remarkably, I agree with Xordium this time. When I read the OP I thought that the kid was just a wimp, but after reading this I really think he'd be better off with the softer approach. I think that taking him out a night a few times to get him used to the idea etc would be great.

To be fair, though, it won't be dark that much longer. Maybe get him out there before it gets light again to get help him before it strikes again next year.

Caporegime
The important thing here is respect for himself and respect of others. There are a lot of conflicting views out there on how best to do this so there's no "one size fits all" approach.

I can tell you what works for me but, as noted, this doesn't guarantee success so YMMV.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO B'TARD OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Soldato
Many of us here have irrational fearshttp://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18640320&highlight=irrational+fears as someone has mentioned spiders and the like are a popular fear and I would no more deride this people than I would a child who was afraid of the dark.

But he does need to deal with this fear and how you help him can make the difference of a controlled dislike of the dark or a person where this issue will have serious affect on the rest of his life.

I am no psychologist but small doses of situations where darkness plays a major part might be useful but forcing him to face his fears at such a young age may permanently cement this fear into his psych.

Back
Top Bottom