After ~2 years of searching, I have found an FTP client that generates HTTP URLs

Man of Honour
Long time user of Firefox extension FireFTP here, reason being that up until today i have not found another FTP client that has a feature FireFTP has. Copying an uploaded files HTTP URL via a button or context menu click just made life much easier.

Now my mission for a new client with the same feature came about when I realise FireFTP would not get updated when Firefox 57 comes out and legacy add-ons become invalid.

Today, I came across WinSCP. I'm now using the portable version.

They have a bunch of custom extensions that you can add through the Static custom command > Customise > Add dropdown > Add Extension.

You then simply add the URL for an extension you want, in this case, fetching the HTTP URL is done through this extension, so you'd enter

Code:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/extension_generate_http_url

You can then add the custom commands bar as a button area in the main toolbar, so instead right clicking a file to get the HTTP, just click the button.

Figured this might help others who could do with the same feature!

Soldato
just curious -
I used to use ftp in unix environment, which gave parallel downloads(pulling multiple parst of file simultaenously) and re-startable behaviour.
what is the usage scenario for ftp these days ? will many sites allow filese to be downloaded via ftp protocol, does that usefully offload the task from a browser ?
can it be faster (protocol does not require sequenetial packet delivery)
... so am I missing out ?

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure what download behaviour sites allow via ftp, I use it exclusively to upload files to my own webhost be they documents/images/files etc for linking on emails/forums/IMs and the like. So as you can imagine, being able to tap a button to get the HTTP URL for it as opposed to uploading it, then having to browse to the directory and copying the URL saves quite a bit of time.

Soldato
Copying an uploaded files HTTP URL via a button or context menu click just made life much easier.

I don't know what this means and I can't work out what feature you are describing.

/edit You get a URL to the file you just uploaded?

Man of Honour
OP
I take it you've used ftp before to upload files to your webspace and somesuch?

I use my own webspace for hosting images or files and often link to them in forums/messages. Normally, people upload something, then to link to it they'd have to browse to that uploaded location in their web browser, then copy the link and paste it into wherever they were pasting it, forum, website etc.

The feature I'm on about allows you to upload something, then in teh ftp client, click a button to copy the link to it (the HTTP address). Every other ftp client that isn't WinSCP or FireFTP simply copies the ftp address (example: ftp://ftp.domain.com/directory/file.jpg), but these clients allow you to copy the http address so you can paste it directly into a forum post, message.

It's a feature that adds a good amount of time saving and convenience.

Soldato
If I'm uploading to ftp then it's in a folder than I already know the url for, the filename is the same, so its url + filename, didn't know this was a feature people looked for :)

Man of Honour
OP
You still have to take at least two extra steps to copy that full URL, or type it if you know it off hand, and then paste it somewhere, whereas with this it's a single click.

Some of my folders are deep level, so typing or copy pasting them from another previously linked file, then editing it with the new filename is extra faff that this solves. It is not a solution in-case you don't know the parent folder URL or anything like that, it's a convenience solution!

Back
Top Bottom